Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sketchup

Blog Entries

Sketchup

I just ran across a Bob Lang video on my computer that I had forgotten about. It is a Pop Wood video about Sketchup.
    I am curious if any of you use the software. I have it, have used it, but don't anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I am curious if any of you use the software.
    Yes. I use it. And there a many others who do, too.

I use it but not often enough to be as proficient with it as I would like.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

You'll find that a "large number" of woodworkers use SketchUp and one of our community members is one of the foremost experts/trainers/authors on the software for the purpose. I don't draw things out very much for my work (at least non-CNC), but when I do, SketchUp is what I use. I also did the original conceptual designs for our home addition using this software which the Architect then was able to refine the design and produce the required plans for permits and the contractor to use.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I just ran across a Bob Lang video on my computer that I had forgotten about. It is a Pop Wood video about Sketchup.
    I am curious if any of you use the software. I have it, have used it, but don't anymore.
    I use it, mostly to illustrate things for documentation or to lay out a new farm building. For 15 years I used high end 3D modeling software for my work and going from that to SketchUp is like switching from a Powermatic lathe to a pocket knife. It's got a lot of inefficiencies but it will get the basic job done without a big learning curve.

JKJ

Every single day, and for hours each day. Its our go-to software for the shop.

Yep, I use it and in fact, I enjoy doing it...so much so that I bought a 3D mouse/controller setup for it.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I tried it for a while, then got turned off by the "thoughtcrime" aspect of the license after Google sold it, and am now using OpenSCAD.

Trying to find the time to learn Solvespace, which is free and opensource.

Quote Originally Posted by William Adams View Post
    I tried it for a while, then got turned off by the "thoughtcrime" aspect of the license after Google sold it, and am now using OpenSCAD.

Trying to find the time to learn Solvespace, which is free and opensource.
    I will agree that it was a sad day when Trimble acquired it. I recently was just reminded of this when I had an issue with Win10 update and was forced to re-install everything and even though I had all my old 2017 information I am unable to remain with 2017. I hadnt migrated the shop to 2018 because we were so busy and I didnt want any hicupps and then because Trimble in their authoritarian rule over older versions left me no choice. And there were hiccups as there always will be.

While I dont appreciate Trimble acting as a lead boat anchor, its still a phenomenal option. We use a lot of open source when we can but if you think your dealing with work arounds with a well supported product and a user community to draw from, open source takes that to another level (Ive been a Gimp user for, well, ever).

Sometimes you have to pick your battles.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    I will agree that it was a sad day when Trimble acquired it.
    SketchUp would have been deceased five years ago if Trimble hadn't bought it from Google. Google would have killed it like so many other programs it killed when they ceased to serve their purposes. Well before SketchUp was sold, it had quit serving Google's purpose for buying it from the company that developed it initially. Google had already nearly stopped any development on SketchUp a year before they sold it.

... and even though I had all my old 2017 information I am unable to remain with 2017.
    Why is that? If you have the license key and serial number for SketchUp 2017 Pro, you can still install it and use it.

... and then because Trimble in their authoritarian rule over older versions left me no choice.
    What do you mean by "authoritarian rule"?

While I dont appreciate Trimble acting as a lead boat anchor...
    I don't see this at all. They've made major improvements in SketchUp and LayOut in the 6 years since they purchased it. It's much more stable than the old Google versions and there's more and better capability.

If you're referring to the fact that the free version of SketchUp isn't licensed for commercial use, that started with SketchUp 8 when it was still a Google product.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 06-06-2018 at 5:45 PM.

I use it for my own work and work for clients, teach it at woodworking clubs and schools, do corporate training in SketchUp, as well as write about it. There is a lot more material authored by me out there than the old PopWood video.

I was trained in manual drafting, used AutoCAD for a number of years and enthusiastically switched to SketchUp more than ten years ago. When you compare the features and capabilities of SketchUp to other programs, and factor in the cost of a Pro license it's a bargain.

There have been corporate changes in ownership that have had an impact on the "free" versions, but the core team working on the product is much the same. They are a great group of people, and they continue to improve a great product. These folks need to make a living and the "free" versions are supported by the money from paid licenses. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I think the restrictions on the "free" versions of SketchUp are reasonable. "SketchUp Make 2017" is still available as a download, and will be for the foreseeable future. The new web-based software "SketchUp Free" is pretty capable if you have a decent internet connection. There is also a new online product called "SketchUp Shop" that has many of the features of "SketchUp Pro" at a reasonable subscription price.

I think every woodworker should know how to use SketchUp. You can plan by pretending to build, see and share what your project will look like from any point of view, and you can retrieve a gold mine of useful information from your model. It makes life easier in the shop and solves problems without wasting wood.

Bob Lang

I bought Bob Lang's Sketchup tutorials - they are very good.

However I m considering moving to Fusion360. https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/overview
    This is free for hobbyists, and it seems to be radically more capable, with (for me at least) a much more logical workflow. Also, if you ever move to CNC, the software includes CAM capabilities.
    Last edited by Ross Manning; 06-07-2018 at 4:07 AM.

There are a couple of different options for CAM from Sketchup --- export an STL and use a stand-alone repair program (may need to fix the mesh), and various plug-ins/utilities such as Phlatscript and Sketchucam

Ive used to to plan several pieces of furniture. Indispensable for me. The PoP Wood website has a great sketch up blog that taught me all kinds of tricks.
    Where did I put that?

If I ever have a question about SU and I can’t find the answer from searching online, Dave Richards is my first stop. He’s the man.

Funny thing was the other day I couldn’t figure out why It wouldn’t let me creat a Component, searched online and found a post from Dave where he had already answered the question on another forum!

So yes Lowell, lots of us have been using SU for years.