Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anyone make a 3hp+ router with both a fixed base and plunge?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Malcolm, I really believe it's because these higher powered routers are most typically purchased and utilized for specific purposes. PC, for example, offers a fixed base and a plunge base version of their heavy router, but the plunge version doesn't utilize the same form factor for the motor as the fixed based does. The former is completely integrated into the plunge format and the latter is removable from the base. The folks who did our soapstone counters used the heavy PC plunger to do the drainboard routing when they were doing final fabrication in our driveway. They could have used the fixed base for that with their jig, but they also use the plunge capability for some other things that were not part of our particular job and wouldn't have been appropriate for a fixed base machine. (I had a conversation with them about that, but don't remember the details since it was back in 2003)
    Agreed. Likewise, they don't make truly industrial level combination machines. At a certain price point buyers aren't looking for double duty compromises

At this power level I think a CNC spindle is way better in a table. More power, way way quieter and a far better chuck that takes any size router bit.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I suspect that a 12 or 13 router is about the biggest you'll find in a combo kit, which is really plenty for most applications including spinning big panel raisers now and then...MW, Bosch, PC, DW, Hitachi, Makita, Triton all have well regarded kits. If you plan to spin the big bits in a production environment, get the 15 amp router with a single base....MW5625 or PC7518.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

4. Gotta agree with multiple routers. I have 7. three Porter Cable 690's, a Triton, a Dewalt 625, a Dewalt compact, and a Porter Cable Laminate Trimmer. And, I use them all. The Dewalt and Triton are mounted in tables, the rest are on the shelf and chucked with high use bits. Make's it way easier to just grab and go. With two tables I set one for rails and one for stiles and I can make doors all day.