Thread: Stupid close call...

Stupid close call...

I was using my Grex pinner to attach 100 plus feet of small cove molding on a remodel job. The Grex doesn't have a nose safety, instead it has a two piece trigger. You squeeze the safety with your second finger and the trigger with your index finger. Well, I got in the bad habit of holding the safety down between shots. As I was moving to position the next pin, I bumped my elbow on a nearby soffit and that caused me to squeeze my index finger reflexively and I fired a pin in mid air. The gun was about six inches from the trim and the pin buried itself a good 1/2 inch into the poplar trim less than half an inch from my other hand, which was holding the molding. I'm pretty sure that pin would have gone right through my hand had the aim been different.

Needless to say, I have been much better about releasing the safety before lifting the gun...

I have mine tape down. I've had a few accidental shots. Getting a 23ga pin in the hand/finger/etc isn't that bad (excluding eyes). Hurts still. Have had a few 18ga curl around and get me. I've learned to keep my fingers at least the length of the pin away from the area I'm shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Graywacz View Post
    I've learned to keep my fingers at least the length of the pin away from the area I'm shooting.
    Also which direction to hold the gun so the brads don't follow the grain out.

The safety's on old guns were notorious for denting wood. We used to jamb the safety so it wouldn't but a person definitely learned to keep your finger off the trigger until a shot was required. We had some mishaps but, thankfully, nothing serious. Thankfully the safety's are much better than they used to be (and I'd like to think we got a little smarter as we got older )

Been shot with an 18g. Doesn't hurt unless you want to pull it out, then it hurts. I watched my helper shoot himself with the 23g. I didn't know a fat man could jump so high!
    -Lud

It's a miracle we live through some of the stuff we put ourselves through

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Graywacz View Post
    I have mine tape down.
    I took mine off.

To the op, please don't ever pick up a firearm. You're lacking some basic skills.

It's just a pin nail.

Very interesting replies. If I got "nailed" I would worry about infection as deep puncture wounds make it difficult to clean. Those nails have been everywhere. And make certain that you have had a Tetanus shot.

And some older guys with me that have implants have other worries about infection.

Air nailers are a safety hazard in the hands of the wrong folks. Like any other tool, they should be treated with respect. Just like a loaded gun! I was helpin' one of our framers put up a 2 x 4 wall, & he buried a framin' nail in my hand! I've fired men for holdin' the safety on framers & shootin' framin' nails into a target they set up. They weren't happy with me, & couldn't understand why they were bein' fired. Safety rules go for everyone all over the job site. If you're to stupid to realize the safety hazards of somethin' as simple as a framin' nailer, ya don't have any business on the job site!

Regardless of the size of the nail, the amount of pressure it's bein' drivin' with is a tremendous amount of force behind that nail, 18 gauge nail, or pin. They have safeties for a reason. If you ain't the one operatinin' the nailer, pay close attention to your surroundings! Because the ones that are operatin' the nailers, 9 x out 10 ain't!
    Last edited by Brad Barnhart; 06-07-2018 at 9:56 PM.
    Sawdust703

Quote Originally Posted by John Gulick View Post
    It's a miracle we live through some of the stuff we put ourselves through
    Not all of us do....
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I was framing a floor for a small metal barn using a Craftsman framing gun that had a nasty habit of double shooting - especially if you were bump nailing. Put a 3 inch 16 p framing nail dead center between the first knuckle and my hand in my thumb. The nail flew through the air to get there so at least it wasn't nailed to the board but just pushed the skin down on the other side but didn't pass through there. Looked just bizarre with that giant nail sticking through my thumb. Didn't hurt much when I did it but my brother in law darned near passed out when I showed it to him. Hurt like heck the next day. Split the bone without damaging it further and didn't infect so I was lucky. Trashed that gun and got a Hitachi.
    Last edited by Rick Alexander; 06-15-2018 at 2:26 PM.

And then there's this
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.