Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Blowgun Recommendation?

Air Blowgun Recommendation?

Just bought a California Air Tools 5510A compressor. Need a blowgun and nozzles, the main task is to blow out my 12 x 36" dust collector HEPA filter. Any recommendations for a high quality gun and nozzle?
    Have done some research and Guardair seems to make quality items, but the specs indicate that their guns use anywhere from 13 to 60 CFM, and the 5510A is rated at around 3 CFM. Seems like a mismatch, but I'm new to this area. Suggestions?

Many thanks,

Len

Honestly, the $8 Husky branded cheapie I recently bought at Home Depot works really well and is comfortable in my hand. It will also be easier to use than the old style brass one I've had since my shop was first invented years ago when it comes time to clean my cyclone filter...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Honestly, the $8 Husky branded cheapie I recently bought at Home Depot works really well and is comfortable in my hand. It will also be easier to use than the old style brass one I've had since my shop was first invented years ago when it comes time to clean my cyclone filter...
    +1. That's what I was thinking.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

HF has nice little starter kits that come with a gun. I see no reason to spend a lot of money on this.

You need to do most of the work with a vacuum. That toy compressor isn't even close to being adequate to blow out that big filter. I'm not sure that is a bad thing as you really want to avoid blowing clouds of dust into the air anyway.

A 5510 is 3 CFM and not 100% duty cycle, which means you really can't use 3 cfm for any length of time. Combine that with most blow guns needing 10-20 cfm and you can see you won't get very far. It will be empty in 30 second runs.
    Vacuum almost all and finish with the blow gun will be the best tactic and best for your health and making the smallest mess. I use a 5510 for blowing out small desktop computers and it just barely does that task. Quiet, yes. Powerful, no.

Thanks all for the replies. Greg, do you have a recommendation for a more powerful compressor? Would like something reasonably portable and not too loud.

Len

Buy more than 1. They hide.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Rosenberg View Post
    Thanks all for the replies. Greg, do you have a recommendation for a more powerful compressor? Would like something reasonably portable and not too loud.

Len
    Well, blowing everything out requires a really large amount of air. Buying a big compressor to do such a rare job just isn't efficient. The other problem is that we are now understanding the problems created by large amounts of dust in the air. As I get older, I'm really realizing that we made too much dust in the past and were say too casual about breathing it. It takes a lot less dust to get me sneezing now and it lasts a lot longer.

Vacuum is so much more efficient since a brush helps to keep the air flowing efficiently and keeps the dust out of the air. Certainly blowing the last of it out from the inside works well but it seems the key is not having much dust left at that point. In other words, use a vacuum to remove 95% and just blow out the last of it THROUGH the filter.

I have a bunch of those here, a variety of brands and styles, some very small, a couple with extended wands, and one that is a monster and will nearly sprain the wrist from the force of the air! That one even strains my big compressor but but I just use it in spurts. As for a stationary compressor, I've been using an Ingersol Rand 5-hp two-stage compressor with a 60 gallon tank and I'm quite happy with it. I think almost any of the blow guns will work - Northern Tool and other places have a nice little kit that has a variety of nozzles.

For portable I use a couple of Porter-Cable pancake compressors that run on 110v, oil-less diaphragm type. These run on 110v, have plenty of air for an air nozzle, to blow up tires, and even to run a framing nail gun and other nailers and staplers but not enough for the bigger air tools like pneumatic sanders or the impact wrench I use to remove lug nuts and such. Inexpensive, though. They have held up with regular use in garage and barn for over 10 years.

JKJ

I like these. Its nice to keep them on the leash.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a handful of different shapes, sizes, manufacturers, etc., but, I really like the high flow air gun that Lowes sells. To be honest, I’m not entirely sure it’s all that different, flow wise, from the traditional ones, but it’s incredibly light, and does the job.

I have always preferred and always purchase Milton for air fittings, and rubber tip blow gun.

AFAIK, still all USA made, important to me for different reasons, but mostly historical Quality.

Possibly mostly a romantic preference, seeing as how they were the common standard in Service Stations for like since 1943.

Remember the hose on the ground and the round bell?

Ya.... Milton.

https://www.amazon.com/Milton-S-153-...on%2Bblow&th=1

Marc
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 06-06-2018 at 1:25 AM.
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

I'm using one of the long, narrow Wynn filters on my DC. Next to impossible to get a vacuum inside it, and a pretty big hassle to take it off for cleaning. But, its outer housing is pretty sturdy metal, which I slap with my hands to loosen the dust, then blow from the outside with the air gun. Wynn says to only use 60 psi, so even my small (2 gallon) compressor gets the job done if you're patient. It kicks on a couple times but still keeps 60 psi if you go in spurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    I'm using one of the long, narrow Wynn filters on my DC. Next to impossible to get a vacuum inside it, and a pretty big hassle to take it off for cleaning. But, its outer housing is pretty sturdy metal, which I slap with my hands to loosen the dust, then blow from the outside with the air gun. Wynn says to only use 60 psi, so even my small (2 gallon) compressor gets the job done if you're patient. It kicks on a couple times but still keeps 60 psi if you go in spurts.
    A leaf blower is my tool of choice. But it helps to have a couple of sawhorses and an area in your yard or garden where a small mound of sawdust won't be unsightly or do any serious damage. Oh, and it helps to have abiding neighbors as well since they'll be greeted by the related particulate cloud if the wind happens to be blowing in their direction.

I just cleaned out my Wynn canister filter last night in preparation for our upcoming move. Fortunately, the garden area is right behind the garage. I just rake the dust pile into the walkways that are already covered with bark mulch. A little hardwood sawdust certainly isn't going to hurt any, and the blueberries and raspberries like the added acidity.

15. Congrats on the Cal Air compressor, so much quieter. My buddy purchased one of the first 60 gallon compressors they just came out with. You can find inexpensive air kits with air guns and nozzles all over, Lowes, HD, hardware stores, even auto parts stores.