Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your opinions on ULMIA workbenches

Your opinions on ULMIA workbenches

I prefer to build my own, but I have an opportunity to buy at a reasonable price a slightky used ULMIA workbench. It is 90X24X4" with a large fold out drop storage drawer underneath..Any of you have experience with this bench or maker? Was planning to build but this became available...Your opinions will be most helpful, Thanks
    Jerry

I don't have experience with that bench, but can't imagine it wouldn't work well. I think Rob P. who runs the Heartwood blog may use the same or similar bench. If it is a reasonable deal, go for it! Especially if you can use it to figure out what you don't like about, and can then resell for a similar price.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

I bought an Ulmia bench more than 30 years ago and it has served me well. It is certainly better built than many of the projects it has helped me make. I got a deal on what I think they called a carvers bench - slightly wider top than is typical and with a double row of dogs. I see one advertised by one of the online antique tool guys and he's asking nearly $1K more than what I paid for mine so I am glad I got it when I did.

I'm not sure I would be a fan of the tilt out tool bin on the one you describe but I guess it won't collect nearly as much dust and shavings as the tray that is on mine. Nonetheless, if you can get it for a good price, I would suggest you jump on it. I guess maybe there is something to be said for designing and building your own perfect bench but if you are generally happy with the design I think you can feel comfortable that Ulmia makes first class goods. Get it and you'll have that much more time for projects that won't stay in your shop.

thanks...Hmmmmm

Seems to be a high quality bench and company although the company has changed hands several times the last few years...The gentleman is offering to me for $1200...and the bench from the pictures appears in v. good usable condition...There is considerable driving distance involved and the 90 " top may not fit easily into my SUV. I'll continue to think over and read this thread...Thanks guys!!!
    Jerry

They seem to be well made, the problem I would have is the tilt out tool cabinet. It looks like that would interfere with holding any wide planks or boards while working on the edge such as planing or doing dovetails. Just my 2 cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Holloway View Post
    They seem to be well made, the problem I would have is the tilt out tool cabinet. It looks like that would interfere with holding any wide planks or boards while working on the edge such as planing or doing dovetails. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Good point Wade..I will consider as I mull over....Thanks for the tip!!!
    Jerry

Seem to remember (magazine article, maybe a decade or so ago) the Ulmia being a step up from the Soberg benches. For me, I built my own bench, then another and then an assembly table. All are used.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    Seem to remember (magazine article, maybe a decade or so ago) the Ulmia being a step up from the Soberg benches. For me, I built my own bench, then another and then an assembly table. All are used.
    Thats my perception too, Tony....I have a Soberg now. I bought top and made my own underpinnings..As you say, it is well used..Thanks
    Jerry

My Ulmia is easily several steps up from any Sjobergs that I have seen.

depends when it was made, older ones have issues. poor design on some aspects. When I called them they said it wasnt their bench, when I showed them it was they said that they are a new company now. Id have to look at them and see what has been changed.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 06-07-2018 at 10:28 PM.

Too bad the bench is 2 1/2 hrs away.....And I'm concerned, knocked down, if it'll fit in my SUV..90" long top could be issue....Further, the price at $1200 sounds fair but is no bargain for 5 hrs of driving...Oh well.
    As i procanstinate, it'll drift away...
    Last edited by Jerry Olexa; 06-08-2018 at 10:31 PM.
    Jerry

likely 2,650.00 Can when new if it had a pull out drawer depending on its age. Moved it in the stationwagon, cant remember if the tailgate closed or not likely it did with the seat forward but even down would have been fine. would think parts and materials would be towards 800.00, Old ones had nice quality bench dogs.

and if the benches are still the same the 90" bench is actually 100" with the vise and outside handle, so tailgate was down
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 06-09-2018 at 10:38 AM.

The ending to the saga: Seller just called me to say it was sold!! (He who hesitates is lost).
    As time went by, I became concerned with the 90" length..In my current shop, it would have been a big adjustment to "squeeze" it in...
    So coupled with the long drive, I'm Ok with this.
    Thanks for your help on this ill-fated journey...
    Jerry

Glad you are (reasonably) happy with the outcome. I agree that at that asking price, you should be super excited about the outcome. We'll look forward to seeing the bench you build.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

For the record, I'd have no hesitation buying just about anything from Ulmia's original period; they might be doing fine work now, too, but I don't have any first-hand knowledge. In addition to a sliding table saw I got from them aroung 1985 (a huge upgrade from the Powermatic Model 70(?) it replaced), I had a few very good quality hand tools they'd made -- a fruitwood smoothing plane with a lignum vitae sole and a very accurate veneer/inlay cutter. Maybe a couple of chisels, too, IIRC.
    Last edited by Frank Drew; 06-11-2018 at 8:49 PM.