Thread: Crafts Fairs Conundrum - Sorry kind of long but any input is appreciated!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I believe the sell web sites are competing for every buyer’s dollar. I would suspect craft shows are having similar problems as brick and mortar stores. Shopping online is cutting into everyone. Etsy, Facebook, EBay and even Craigslist. Small businesses are selling online just to stay in business. Woodcraft and Rocklar also.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

I do 4-5 art/craft shows per year. I started doing them a few years ago because I ran out of people to give my stuff to and I realized I can more than pay for my hobby with a few good shows. I only sell bowls for the most part (it's 90% of my inventory). Prices range from $30-$300 depending on size and complexity. I only use wood that would otherwise end up in a landfill or a chipper or a fireplace so my material cost is very low, but I spend a lot of time preparing wood to be turnable.

I've made some observations on your topic based on my experiences. Maybe it will help...

1. At this stage, I only go to juried art shows that are "destination" type events (unless there is a show in my small town where I want to support my local community in some way). "Craft" shows are for bargain hunting customers. "Art" shows are for afficianodos.

2. Your booth set-up and presentation matters. I wish it didn't, but it does. People have to like your set up. There has to be a "flow" around the tables and stages for the work to sit at different eye levels. My booth set up is the worst part of my presentation. I really need to improve it! Greet everyone who stops by.

3. Try to have a niche or a signature type of style. As soon as I figured out how to "save" unusable wood, I made a market for myself. I doubt I'm the only turner who does this type of work, but it's all I do for the most part, and now people are recognizing my work on occasion.

4. Be able to accept all payment types - cash, credit, debit, venmo, Apple Pay, PayPal, all of it - and make sure people know it.

5. Engage with your neighbors and help steer people to their booths, as well. I can't tell you how many people have bought something from me after saying "one of your neighboring booths told me to come check you out..."

6. Utilitarian items sell best right before Mother's Day and Christmas time. "Art" sells year round.

7. Tell people everything you know about the wood you used. What type, where'd you get it, what's it generally used for, is it locally sourced, is there something unique about this species? Buyers love knowing the provenance of the wood itself.

8. Never think for a minute that a higher booth fee means better customers. Best show I ever had was at a local art show and a guy came in and bought my entire inventory of resin/wood hybrid bowls. The cost to set up my booth for that show was $25. Including the couple of commissioned pieces I got ordered from that show, I outsold every other artist in the show combined. You just never know...

9. Remember, as an artist/craftsman, people aren't just buying your product - they have to buy into you as an artist. If they wanted bowls or bottle stoppers, they'd head to Walmart or Williams Sonoma. They have to want to support what you are doing as an individual. It took me a while to come to grips with this reality as I had always hoped that my work would just "sell itself." Sometimes it does, but if I want to sell more stuff I have to tell people about me, and my work.

As I have learned and applied all these concepts, my shows have been much more consistent. They still fluctuate, of course, but I almost always reach my expectations and I've never lost money by going to a show.

Well said Harold! You have hit the nail on the head on many of your points. I had two people at my last show make comments about the attitude of some of my neighbors and how they won't go into a booth, no matter how much they like the art, if the artists doesn't greet them or say hello as they are passing by. The other thing, I've learned, is never, never judge a customer by the way they are dressed. I've created one customer that comes to see me, and buy, every time I do a show in St. Louis (about 4 to 5 a year). He looks like he's homeless but always pays cash.