Thread: Pony Pipe Clamp Fans

Pony Pipe Clamp Fans

Not sure if anyone else posted this or not......Grizzly has a stock of Pony Pipe Clamps all of a sudden. The 3/4” are about $14. I haven’t seen them retail for quite some time now. I figured this would be of interest to those who search tag sales high and low for them.

I see them on several sites. Amazon says Made in USA or China. I my have read somewhere that they closed their U.S. plants and were setting up off shore. Be interested to see if the quality is the same.

I've got one clamp that a friend gave me plus a set of clamps with no pipe. Not sure what to use them for or what type of pipe to purchase. I'm guessing you have to have someone thread the pipe ends?
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrison View Post
    I've got one clamp that a friend gave me plus a set of clamps with no pipe. Not sure what to use them for or what type of pipe to purchase. I'm guessing you have to have someone thread the pipe ends?

You can buy it at Home depot already threaded on one end. If you buy the 10' black iron pipe, it is threaded on each end and they will cut and thread it as you request for a small fee.

The Irwins are the same price at Lowes, but do not require any threads.

Pony tanked and what was left was purchased by a Chinese firm.
    Stuart Kent
    Founding Director of the North Carolina Furniture School
    Robust, Rikon, Harvey, & Easy Wood Tools Dealer
    252-916-8226

Only one end needs to be threaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Only one end needs to be threaded.
    Is there a recommended length? Or usage?
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

One of the reasons that folks like me keep a few of these pipe clamps around, despite our "passion" for parallel type clamps is that they can be configured in many lengths, including "really long". I have a pair of 11 footers that I got from a friend when he moved to Florida and sold off his shop, for example. I only have four 60" parallel clamps, so my extra supply of about 8 60" pipe clamps come in handy when I have a very large glue-up to do, such as that "kitchen continent top" I built not long ago for a client/friend. Some folks will keep a stash of various lengths of black pipe and just make up the length they need for a given job to avoid having clamps that are too long and therefore, a danger to life and limb (or forehead, groin or elsewhere, as the case may be)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

We use the 3/4" Pony's almost exclusively with a smattering of F clamps, a couple pairs of Parallels, and some Ibars. When we setup new batches of clamps we buy pipe from the plumbing supply in either 10'6" or 21' lengths and break them down in even increments based on need. So for instance if we are buying 10'6" lengths we would make 63" clamps, or 42" clamps. We dont normally go much shorter but will on occasion break them into 4 30" clamps. the 42" and 63" are our most commonly used but it all depends on the type of work you most commonly do.

We have cutting and threading in the shop so we just buy long lengths and make the clamps we want. Thread both ends and keep the couplings that come on the lengths and when you need a long clamp just thread two or three together to get whatever you need.

Before Adjustable Clamp wend down we were paying $13 and change for a set. They are now being reproduced overseas (looks like a Chinese outfit bought up the tooling) but we havent bought any since they closed up.

They are by far the best clamp for the money without doubt. We have several other brands in pairs and singles and even the Bessey's with the extended legs suck compared to the Pony's.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Kent View Post
    Pony tanked and what was left was purchased by a Chinese firm.
    I wonder if the quality is comparable?

I need to buy about another forty clamps one of these days

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    One of the reasons that folks like me keep a few of these pipe clamps around, despite our "passion" for parallel type clamps is that they can be configured in many lengths, including "really long". I have a pair of 11 footers that I got from a friend when he moved to Florida and sold off his shop, for example. I only have four 60" parallel clamps, so my extra supply of about 8 60" pipe clamps come in handy when I have a very large glue-up to do, such as that "kitchen continent top" I built not long ago for a client/friend. Some folks will keep a stash of various lengths of black pipe and just make up the length they need for a given job to avoid having clamps that are too long and therefore, a danger to life and limb (or forehead, groin or elsewhere, as the case may be)
    I also have only four of the 60" parallel clamps. I bought 4 of the pipe clamps and 4 sticks of the 10 ft Pipe. I cut 3 ft off of each pipe and threaded the cut off end. The pipes come with a coupler so if I need that extra length (rarely) I can screw them together and use the whole length. I use galvanized pipe. The danger to life and limb couldn't be more true trying to wrangle a 10 ft clamp around the shop or trying not to run into them.

I just bought the Harbor Freight clamps because I needed them in a pinch. Figured I would replace them with better ones later but they work just fine. I like that they have the little feet on them so they stand up by themselves. Wish they had the rubber pads on the clamping face though.

Marty