Thread: Drill Press Disaster(Update & Trunion Review)

Drill Press Disaster(Update & Trunion Review)

Based on Mike Kreinhop's info I ordered a set of Renovo trunions almost immediately after I checked out his link but have not received them as of today's date but I expect them any day now. I had also found that the Delta 18-900L had what appeared to be similar trunions and had asked for someone to measure them for me. A little later in my original "Disaster" post Steve Demuth provided dimensions from his Delta 18-900L. Comparing the two sets of dimensions, the two different trunions appeared to be almost identical so I said to myself "what the heck" and ordered them too from ereplacementparts.com, they were substantially cheaper(~$8ea) so it wasn't going to break me to get them also. This was a day or two after the first order and I got them this past Friday.

A side beside comparison:
    The OEM units appear to be sand-castings and pot metal. The new ones appear to be die-casts and are probably Zinc or a combination of zinc and aluminum called Zamak. In any case the new ones are very shiny and smooth. Other than the obvious differences the parts ARE identical size wise. The only dimensional difference I could find was the thickness of the mounting tabs which were much thicker. The e-parts also weigh about 25-30% more then the OEMs and I don't think the tab thickness was all of that difference.
    Image1.jpg Image2.jpg 20180602_100916.jpg

The clamping shoe fit the new parts perfectly and they mounted to the bottom of the table without any fuss, the screws were plenty long enough for the thicker tabs. The whole installation didn't take 25 minutes with most of that time spent drilling and taping the hole for the screw that holds the little red pointer in place. The last photo is an under-shot of the completed installation.
    20180602_100315.jpg 20180602_102236.jpg 20180602_103548.jpg

In my opinion these would likely outlast the OEMs 2to1, especially if they are made from a Zamak like alloy and the OEM's are actually pot metal but that's just my opinion.

As soon as I get the Renovo parts I will do a similar comparison but at this point I can't imagine them being better then the e-parts.

Hope this info is helpful to others.

Comments welcomed.
    Last edited by James Combs; 06-04-2018 at 4:38 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary info.

"The best things in life are not things."

Hi James. I had replied to your initial thread with a couple of measurements from my jet trunnions. The new trunnion that I received was also shiny relative to the one it replaced, but honestly don’t remember how smooth it was. It was a Jet part however. I might take the plunge and buy a set of the deltas, I’m sure that the original trunnion still on the saw isn’t long for this life. Thanks for posting this, very helpful.

edit: just checked, it’s also smooth and similar to your new set.
    Last edited by Joseph Quattro; 06-04-2018 at 8:32 PM.

Great job everyone.