Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garage Door Insulation Panels?

I have to ask what fire codes say about flammable insulation exposed inside a garage? Even the isco foil covered panel require a drywall covering for fire resistance.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I have to ask what fire codes say about flammable insulation exposed inside a garage? Even the isco foil covered panel require a drywall covering for fire resistance.
    Bill D.
    I have also been researching insulation options for my steel garage doors.

Fire safety has been a concern of mine too. What I have found is that polyisocyanurate (PolyIso) insulation has better resistance to fire spread than polystyrene. It also has better insulation value. However, most PolyIso products still require a drywall covering. I did find out that most all manufacturers of PolIso insulation make a version that is rated for exposed applications, but minimum orders for these products is over 2,000 units!

I think I'm leaning toward using Dow's Tuff-R (PolyIso) with the foil side facing the garage interior. It's not my preference, but I don't see a better alternative.

Sean,
    I think that you have a reasonable plan. Having foil facing the interior is probably better for fire protection and looks better anyways.

I'd say go ahead. Your plan is a great improvement over what you have right now (nothing). Don't overthink it.

Completely non-scientific but the fire comments made me wonder just how flammable this stuff is, so I took this piece and tried setting it on fire with a long nose propane lighter.
    I got it to flicker flame once but it wouldn't sustain on its own.
    Not saying there's not a potential issue but if a fire does happen I don't see this acting as an accelerator compared to the wood and various chemicals that live in the garage too.

And no I didn't try setting it on fire on my knee.

image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Hinton View Post
    Completely non-scientific but the fire comments made me wonder just how flammable this stuff is, so I took this piece and tried setting it on fire with a long nose propane lighter.
    I got it to flicker flame once but it wouldn't sustain on its own.
    Not saying there's not a potential issue but if a fire does happen I don't see this acting as an accelerator compared to the wood and various chemicals that live in the garage too.

And no I didn't try setting it on fire on my knee.

image.jpg
    Yea I didnt think that stuff was very flammable if at all. Then I thought, boy that seems kinda funny worrying about flammable garage door insulation panels in a shop full of wood and saw dust!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!