Thread: Oak and Becote Splined Box

Oak and Becote Splined Box

boxeswoods006.jpg boxeswoods007.jpg

This is an oak and becote splined box with mitered corners that has a lift off lid. I have been trying out different joints and methods of attaching lids in small boxes. I intend to build a few of these as I like the overall design. A bit hard to see in the first pic but I used the contrasting wood in the splines on both the box and the lid. There is a slight angle to the sides of the box (wedge with my bandsaw and then the sander).
    It was a fun build.

Thanks for looking.
    jon

Jon, very nicely done. I like the way the lid recesses into the box a little. I also like the way the mitered corners are rounded off...looks like a continuous piece...almost like the box was hollowed out. I’m curious why end grain doesn’t become more prominent. Anyway, great job.

That's beautiful, Jon.

(I never would have guessed that was oak for some reason...)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Nice touch with the rounded corners softening the look. Well done.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Nice. I like the contrasting splines.
    Charlie Jones

Thanks for the comments everyone!
    I think the lighting is strange and misleading. The becote is much less purple in real life and the mitered lid and triangular knob are from the same board of it. In the pic, one looks purple-ish and the other is more true, brown and black. End-grain orientation on the oak is vertical so the end grain doesn't show as much (Bob Ross kind of happy accident) and the mitered sides are sequential so the softening of the corners show a nice continuity. I only used tung oil to finish it... no dyes or stains.
    jon

For a minute, I thought you might be a TCU fan.

TedP (Boomer Sooner!)

Looks great. Your contrasting wood choices are good and I really like the contrasting splines. The rounds miter are the corners add an interesting design element.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

That's one of those pieces that just makes you want to touch it. The rounded, organic form, the colors, the lid that looks like it's gently melted into the base, etc.

Trick of the light or not, I think I'd try some blue dye - I like the effect! And I wouldn't have guessed that as oak - the grain isn't "open" like the oak I've used. Must just be how it was sawn.

It's a nice piece for sure!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Very nice, Jon. The rounded corners and the slight taper on the box give it a lot of interest.
    Well done,
    Jim