Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Surface Rust

Lubricant yes sometimes a beer or red wine. Thank Jack Forsberg for that method. works well and also is not too aggressive on machines that have ripples like in my photo or on my jointer one shaper.

Warren are you using the beer or wine or drinking it. It would be hard to pour a perfectly good glass of beer onto my table top instead of drinking it.

jack
    English machines

Nice! That is a great way to do it. Thanks

That’s the Jack method, where I learned it from. I’m going to be cleaning up some surface rust today, i’ll take a brief photo tutorial and post back this afternoon.

Blog Entries
    The recommendation on the Felder Owner's Group was Barkeeper's Friend and a maroon abrasive pad. Barkeeper's Friend is oxalic acid that eats rust.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Holloway View Post
    Thanks guys!.

Ben I was thinking about a RO Sander with a scotch brute pad on it to speed things up. Just did not know if something new was out there now. Last time I dealt with rust on cast iron I never was able to get the stain out of it and looking new again.

Thanks for the info on the Boesheild T-9 and it’s use. Will have to find be some of that. I have plenty of Renaissance Wax, use that on the knives that I make all of the time.

Thanks again everyone!!
    ROS + Scotchbrite using Autosol which inhibits rust return pretty well. If it is really bad a cup brush on an angle grinder will get it to the point where the ROS is usable. Fifteen minutes tops from bad rust to shining bling.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Buy a gallon of Evaporust its amazing.

Evaporust is a great product but not for a machine flat surface. It stains and is difficult to use on flat surfaces.

Here are the pictures from today.

10. Evaporust is frequently used to restore machines from the 1950's flat surfaces and all. Obviously for light surface rust its probably overkill.

Have you used it on table saw tops or the like? I tried it once with evaporust soaked rags and it left a stained mess that I had to buff out anyway.

I’ve used gallons of the stuff on planes, machine parts, etc. Not my first choice for tops. To each is own - they both get it done.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Have you used it on table saw tops or the like? I tried it once with evaporust soaked rags and it left a stained mess that I had to buff out anyway.

I’ve used gallons of the stuff on planes, machine parts, etc. Not my first choice for tops. To each is own - they both get it done.
    I personally used it to restore a 1950's Rockwell 14" radial arm saw, it worked fantastic. Some of the cast parts that were heavily rusted were rough casting surfaces, not machined. Evaporust got down into all the nooks and crannies. As for staining, its the rust that stained the metal not Evaporust. After soaking the saw parts overnight and rinsing with a scrub brush the only stains on the metal were where there had been rust. Evaporust is a really neutral product, not and acid, not caustic, will not remove metal or paint (unless there's rust under the paint). It eats rusts that's all, consumes it like food. Its so no toxic you can pour it down a drain after.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike King View Post
    The recommendation on the Felder Owner's Group was Barkeeper's Friend and a maroon abrasive pad. Barkeeper's Friend is oxalic acid that eats rust.

Mike
    Plain white vinegar works about as well as oxalic acid on mild rust. I'm not sure how the cost compares, but a gallon of white vinegar at the grocery store is pretty cheap. It also works pretty well at restoring/sharpening old dull/rusty files and rasps.

for bad rust on cast iron and flat milled tables its hard to beat a razor

050_zpsb6eb88b5.jpg

Rust Fest is official open for registration

http://jforsberg.ca/
    jack
    English machines

sed the safety edge razor on the last few and its a good improvement in making the schotbrite last longer. I didnt have a handle just a safety edge blade held at a low angle and only used one side likely it rounded a tiny bit. Not much rust on what Matt has shown there so razor not needed but when its heavier its worth it. wear a dust mask with the Schotchbrite you will be tasting iron. I have used WD and didnt find any benefit other than maybe kept dusting down. Ive only used burgandy 3M so far have finer but not tried it, you will leave a bit of an irregular sheen pattern, not a big deal.