Thread: Found Record #6 at yard sale

Found Record #6 at yard sale

I paid $10 for it and it's in great shape post 1988 according to my research. Is it worth trying to sell it or did I already pay more than it's worth. I already have a Bailey #6 and I need to stop buying tools I don't need.

If it's fairly clean and straight, you should be able to get $40 or even $50 for it if you clean it up and describe it well. When I sell a plane, I test the sole using my closest approximation to a straightedge (a 24" combination square rule) and feeler gauges, so I can describe whether the sole is flat or not - length, across the width, and diagonally. And I sharpen the iron and include a picture of the plane with shavings in the mouth.

You can ship it in a flat rate "board game" box by disassembling it; put the small parts in plastic bags. Few post offices stock the "board game" boxes, but you can order them free from the post office website.

Thank you very much Bill

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hutchings View Post
    I paid $10 for it and it's in great shape post 1988 according to my research. Is it worth trying to sell it or did I already pay more than it's worth. I already have a Bailey #6 and I need to stop buying tools I don't need.
    Checking completed listings on ebay indicate two recent sales for better than $100 + shipping. Both were very good condition.

About the buying of tools that are not needed, Hello, my name is Jim and I'm a rustoholic...

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Guess I need to get busy prepping to sell it then. Thank you Jim

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hutchings View Post
    Guess I need to get busy prepping to sell it then. Thank you Jim
    Often my extra tools are set aside until there is a reason to sell them, like buying a new tool.

It is my "bank of retirement" otherwise the money just sits around wanting to be spent.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I like that idea. My wife already has the money spent Maybe I'll leave it on the shelf a little longer.