Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New shop 24x40

That's really getting there, Steve!

And you'll have plenty of room for all the goodies...including a nice CNC. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Another good day....Picked up needed electrical parts, and almost finished with work/assembly bench. 20180724_151716 (1).jpg Sorry it's rotated. I haven't figure that part out yet. Warning............I purchased 3" casters at Lowes....2 swivel and 2 straight. They are NOT the same height so I need to shim one set by 1". Dang it(: Oh.....I think I will like he melamine top...easy to clean, two sides coated, and reasonably priced. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That's really getting there, Steve!

And you'll have plenty of room for all the goodies...including a nice CNC. LOL
    I am thinking about a CNC.....No fool like an old fool, lol..........I'm finally recognizing I'm not ready for "retirement".....not for me just yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Middleton View Post
    I am thinking about a CNC.....No fool like an old fool, lol..........I'm finally recognizing I'm not ready for "retirement".....not for me just yet!
    Yup...saw (and commented on) your post on Camheads. "Try it...you'll like it!"...
    --

Thanks Jim, I appreciate the encouragement

I try hard to be a quality "enabler"...especially with other folks' money.
    --

And today we have lights.....
    20180725_154118.jpg

And image is still 90 deg out. And I went THE OTHER WAY and still made no difference, LOL.

Lights are nice to have...and they help you keep your fingers. (seriously...great progress there!)
    --

20180728_161955.jpgIt's been a couple days but I built a 36 x 48 work station with router table, belt sander, drill press and, small metal shear (which will need a "baggy" to keep the dust off. I put it on casters and will rn everything to a power strip which will then power everything when needed. After thinking about it I decided that teh 24x40 space will fill up FAST and this can be tucked in a corner when it's not needed. Not SMC quality build but will be functional Sorry I don't know how to fix rotation.
    Last edited by Steve Middleton; 07-28-2018 at 10:24 PM.

That's going to be a great work space.

I've been reading DC threads and the members have MANY different shops/needs. My 24x40 will be primarily laser at least until I add a CNC router. I know the router will require DC. Ray at Rabbit asks for a 6" exit fitting which he will install to duct the laser. I know I'll be doing some sanding and painting but don't know whether the painting will be spray or brush. Any suggestions or comments will be appreciate as I'm a TOTAL newby. Thanks in advance, it's a great forum!

Venting for spray operations is a whole 'nuther thing over DC, especially if you choose to use solvent based finishes instead of working with water borne finishes. You need a more serious (and expensive) setup for solvent based finishes like lacquer than you do for water borne products. The former has seriously explosive and health-hazardous VOC properties while the latter is more about suspended fines, rather than VOC. (water borne still requires personal protection, however)

You are correct that a CNC will want for DC. Some folks dedicate a unit; others run it off their regular shop system. What you decide to employ will be very much related to the tools and work you intend to do. The laser is a separate thing for sure and it sounds like you have that covered.
    --

More progress yesterday. Mini split installed and continue to refine the shelving design. If I do this enough times I'll find something I like20180802_154818.jpg20180802_154947.jpg