Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New shop 24x40

Shop looks nice. I had the ceilings of my home insulated with a couple inches of closed cell foam early this year and am very happy with it. Because it blocks airflow the results in terms of reduction in my bills was greater than I expected. My HVAC guy found a leak that had probably been there awhile about the same time as I got the foam so it is hard to say exactly how much is each. But I haven't received a cooling bill more than $125 so far. In SC, we use a lot more cooling than heat.

thank you!

Another question came up.....I have a 60 gallon compressor and would prefer it remain in the adjacent garage which isn't heated. This will isolate the noise but wondering if there's enough moisture in the winter air to condense in the line and freeze up? Thought about a dryer at output of the compressor but that just helps isolate the problem? Any thoughts are appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Venting for spray operations is a whole 'nuther thing over DC, especially if you choose to use solvent based finishes instead of working with water borne finishes. You need a more serious (and expensive) setup for solvent based finishes like lacquer than you do for water borne products. The former has seriously explosive and health-hazardous VOC properties while the latter is more about suspended fines, rather than VOC. (water borne still requires personal protection, however)

You are correct that a CNC will want for DC. Some folks dedicate a unit; others run it off their regular shop system. What you decide to employ will be very much related to the tools and work you intend to do. The laser is a separate thing for sure and it sounds like you have that covered.
    This is very much a seat of the pants project. All I have so far is an "idea" and experience will trump a lot of my preconceptions I'm sure. Maybe that's the part I like, lol. A "business consultant" once said to me "I think you get bored. You like a project and once you see it working you're ready to move on." She was right(:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Middleton View Post
    Another question came up.....I have a 60 gallon compressor and would prefer it remain in the adjacent garage which isn't heated. This will isolate the noise but wondering if there's enough moisture in the winter air to condense in the line and freeze up? Thought about a dryer at output of the compressor but that just helps isolate the problem? Any thoughts are appreciated!
    You are going to want to condition that air somehow to insure that you don't get a lot of moisture. Some tools don't like that at all. One example...a CNC machine that uses air for both Z-axis balance and for other purposes. I don't generally have moisture issues with my setup and the compressor/DC closet isn't exactly "conditioned space", but I still "double filter" between the unit and my CNC and have appropriately sloped lines. I also have an auto-drain on my 60 gallon compressor which has helped immensely in keeping water and moisture out of the system.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Your shop is really coming along great, Steve! Looks like everything is being done right. Very nice.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Thanks Julie, I'm trying!

So....The compressor will go in new shop. I see no other reasonable option. Today's pictures will include one end of shop with shelves and rollaway box and the other with desk, computers, etc. The first section will also house a vertical mill. I had not planned on that but the unheated garage resulted in significant rust to the mill table and it's too nice a machine to let it rust away. A lathe might find it's way later but we'll see. The other end now has 2 computers, color printer/scanner/fax with enough room to conduct business. My internet signal was wea20180806_191405.jpg20180806_191309.jpgk so purchased a "booster" and now all is well Thanks for listening, I appreciate all the support.20180806_191332.jpg I apologize....the pictures are all 90 deg out and out of order. I obviously have a lot to learn On brighter now Jim from Pennsytucky is doing som awesome CNC work on a 4x4 router. I was thinking 4x8 and feeling cramped already but 4x4 is making me more optimistic. LOL.
    Last edited by Steve Middleton; 08-06-2018 at 7:46 PM.

A little more progress. The compressor is operational now. I added a larger filter which substantially reduced the noise, probably by half? You definitely hear it but those high frequency pitches are all gone. Much more bearable. And I now have sound. Old school CD player with a couple speakers makes for a nice environment! 20180808_094334.jpg20180808_130812.jpg

Nice looking shop...... What mini split system are you looking at. I may have a very similar project in the near future.

Thanks,
    Robert

For a space that big I would be looking at twin 18k btu mini splits. I have a single Mitsubishi 18k in my 20x22 insulated space and it can heat and cool it wonderfully but most importantly it can overcome having the big roll up door open within 15 minutes of closing it.

I opted for a Fujitsu 2 ton, one inside unit and a NTool oscilating fan to keep things moving. It is supposed to heat at -15 deg F but I don't know how much the efficiency will suffer

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Middleton View Post
    I opted for a Fujitsu 2 ton, one inside unit and a NTool oscilating fan to keep things moving. It is supposed to heat at -15 deg F but I don't know how much the efficiency will suffer
    As long as you don’t leave the big doors open long at a time, it should be fine to control and maintain given your insulation. That’s bigger than my 1.5 ton and mine is way overkill for the sq ft. We open our double garage door a lot so I wanted to keep that in check.

OK...the compressor is now in the climate controlled space. I read several threads on how to quiet it down and rigged up a larger filter which cut the high frequency sounds entirely! You still know it's running but not nearly as annoying20180808_094334.jpg