Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New shop 24x40

What R value did you end up getting with that foam job ? I also like the spray foam and mini's.

R value for closed cell foam is R6-8 per inch and I paid for 2 inches. When I measured found a couple places 1.75 and quite few at 2.5 so it's not an exact science I guess

The slight variability in the thickness is at least partially off-set by the structural and vapor/infiltration barrier that the material provides to the building. No worries. And yes, it's hard to get the thickness exact without over-spraying too much and the cutting it off flush. That's not economical with closed cell, but common with open cell where every tiny bit of fill is more important and the cost of material is lower. But then you have to add the cost of a vapor barrier and don't get the structural benefit of the closed cell foam, either.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I painted the ceiling and upper side walls white Saturday and have just a bit of touch up when paint got to low for the suction tube to reach. That should help reflect the light I hope. Hoping to pick up rough cut lumber today and begin work of the walls.Once I get up about 4 feet I'll start running wire for outlets at the same time so this will take a few days

Saturday I painted the ceiling and upper side walls with "ceiling white" and this afternoon picked up 1500 bd/ft rough cut lumber for side walls. Once I get up to about 4ft will begin running electric as well. Tried to post a picture but my internet is SOOOOOO pitiful and, of course, expensive as well(:

Before you buy a mini split make sure that you have an adequate dust collection system or you will need to clean it out daily and possibly more often than that.

thanks, I'm working on that Ron. This is new territory for me so I'm reading and figuring it out as I go.

That's a nice looking building. What kind of steel building is it, and do you know how the cost compares to stick built? I'm thinking of adding another smaller building for utility storage next to the shop (lawn tractor, snow blower, etc).

The shell, 24x40 was just shy of $8k. They did that in 13 hours. Site prep, concrete, in addition of course. They did a good job IMO.

i also did 2" of closed cell spray foam for $4.4k. My next question is.....work benches, etc.....I know I'll need work/finish/etc and I'd like all that to be on casters.Any opinions on dimensions/format would be appreciated. I know I'll also need storage for raw materials so give me the benefit of your experience if you will!!!

My next question is....Workbench and storage for a laser operation? 24x40, relatively small, I know I'll need a space for finish work, color fill, raw material.....as for benches I definitely want casters so what dimensions? 36x? or....shelving....16 or 24 deep.....fixed or movable....Your thoughts will be appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    That's a nice looking building. What kind of steel building is it, and do you know how the cost compares to stick built? I'm thinking of adding another smaller building for utility storage next to the shop (lawn tractor, snow blower, etc).
    Dave, look up carport buildings. Allsteelcarports.com has a similar build. Typically 1 1/2-2" thick walls. What is the thickness of your door Steve?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Dave, look up carport buildings. Allsteelcarports.com has a similar build. Typically 1 1/2-2" thick walls. What is the thickness of your door Steve?
    I believe the frame is 2 1/2" on approximately 4 ft centers. The door is about 1 1/2", insulated of course. It came from HBO Carports in NC.

I had a good day in the shop yesterday, in fact best day I've had in quite a while. I was focused and put everything else in the background and gosh it was nice. It's been 3 years since I sold my business and I've concluded I'm just not cut out for "retirement" just don't want to work as hard as I used to. LOL. Anyway here's a picture of where I left things yesterday afternoon. 20180722_152058.jpg20180722_152058.jpgI don't know why it showed up twice?