Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is it just me or are these prices out of hand?

this thread made me look at the local CL. It's not as bad as it used to be, that's for sure. Some decent deals. Most of the good deals are from over the mountain though. I did like the axe head and maul head (looks like handle remnants in the heads) for $20. There was a $7k Matco toolbox someone was selling for $2k, which seems okay. The very similar Snapon toolchest for $5k might sit for a while.

Nothing in my basement shop that can't be removed with a off-road forklift. That's how it got in there. And I had the entryway modified to make it easier. Might be a little daunting, especially the 5500 pound milling machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrison View Post
    If you look around long nought you can always find an expert to say exactly what you want to hear. Doesn't mean they are right though.
    Ain't that the truth. One definition of an expert is someone 50 miles from home with a briefcase. Some experts have training and credentials, others have mastered the lingo and look & sound good on TV.

Blog Entries
    A lot of sellers also list high prices expecting to be haggled to a "reasonable" price. They assume that if they start high they end up high, rather than in reality, there's just more haggling.
    Another way to look at this is it is easier to come down in price than it is to go up. There have been times when my hesitation on a price prompted the seller to go up in price. What they saw next was my backside and no interest in dealing with them on anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Ain't that the truth. One definition of an expert is someone 50 miles from home with a briefcase. Some experts have training and credentials, others have mastered the lingo and look & sound good on TV.
    One of my situations is actually a humorous story of how one becomes an "expert".

My employment before retirement was as a elctro-mechanical technician on automatic fare collection equipment at a public transit agency. The old equipment was being changed out and we were having meetings about the new equipment. The supervisor mentioned that besides being connected through a computer network the machines also had a second interface through SCADA. Someone asked, "what is SCADA?" Not thinking anything of it, my reply was, "Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition." (the equipment on a previous job used SCADA) Guess who was named the SCADA "expert" just for knowing what the acronym meant. That was pretty much my extent of knowledge on the subject. It was on me to do some quick learning and even an occasional lock picking over the next few years for being the "expert".

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Another way to look at this is it is easier to come down in price than it is to go up. There have been times when my hesitation on a price prompted the seller to go up in price. What they saw next was my backside and no interest in dealing with them on anything else.
    I list something for $125 firm price.

E-mail: Hey, what's the best price you'll take?

Me: $140

E-mail: YOUR AD WAS LOWER!!!

Me: Yeah, but I figured if you're too stupid to read "firm price" you might be too stupid to realize that too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alvarez View Post
    I list something for $125 firm price.

E-mail: Hey, what's the best price you'll take?

Me: $140

E-mail: YOUR AD WAS LOWER!!!

Me: Yeah, but I figured if you're too stupid to read "firm price" you might be too stupid to realize that too.
    Maybe if you told them the ad was a mistake, but if they hurry over you will let them hold you to it would get it to sell faster.

Though your approach does sound a bit more satisfying.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

Though your approach does sound a bit more satisfying.

jtk
    I've also learned that people who don't read or read and ignore are bad buyers. I want easy transactions for both parties, and for two people to be happy. Heck, I met a new woodworker over a sale and now we're friends! But the people who are impolite or otherwise not "with it" are a pain to deal with.

[QUOTE=Marshall Harrison;2818973]

I just thought they would sell the big iron before moving it. Never thought about getting it out of the basement being too big of a task.

I'm planning to move from Florida to the North Carolina mountains in the next few years. That has me wondering what big purchases I can put off until I move. Don't want to leave things here for the kids as they won't use them. But don't want to have the expense or hassles of moving a lot of stuff.

Hi Marshall, in response to moving stuff, that's what contract help is for.

As to putting off buying a tool, buy it now. We have no idea how much longer we will live, the longer you own the tool the more use and satisfaction you receive from it, and financially it's better as you amortize it over move years..............regards, Rod.

Yep... Some of the best money I have ever spent was on hiring movers to move my heavy junk.... It's their day job... They have all the gear... They have all the trucks... And their day job isn't sitting in front of a computer all day long. .

[QUOTE=Jim Koepke;2819087
    My bandsaw comes in at about 200 pounds. With a bit of careful planing and leverage it was not difficult for me to unpack and assemble the unit on my own. [/QUOTE]

No offense but that is a "throw it in the back seat of a car" bandsaw.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    I think Bill hit the nail on the head.
    I have a friend who sells on ebay. He sells car parts on there. Wife purchased a new couch. Took the old one out to the burn pile. For fun he snapped a pic and posted it for sale. Guy bid $200 and was excited to get it.
    I own and use a Shopsmith Mark 5. I'm amazed what parts sell for on e-bay. People don't realize Shopsmith is still in business and parts can be had new form the manufacture for less than e-bay.
    There has been about 5 Shopsmiths over the last few years in my favorite scrapyard, some with accessories because they could not get rid of them, I had no desire for them & they went away.

A little bit off track but still on the 'price' topic-- It's been years since I stopped at a convenience store to buy 'just' a drink. Sunday I was out and about and hadn't had a drink in a couple of hours. Stopped at an Exxon station and bought a 20oz bottle of diet Pepsi... Got $2.39 change from a $5 bill -- seriously?? $2.61 for a drink? I actually asked if that was the right price...yup...

Since I can buy 24 12oz cans of diet Pepsi for $3.00, I was a little put off at Exxon's markup...

Last edited by Kev Williams; 06-20-2018 at 4:36 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Sodas aren't just horrible for your health, but also your wallet I guess? If I get a drink on the go it's the tea at QT. A quart is under a buck, and they brew it fresh on site all day. Give it a try, top quality.

--if only tea didn't smell and taste like lawn clippings...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

LOL, fair enough. Though they do have a variety of flavors.

Holy cow, I can't remember what Coke/Pepsi taste like. I think I last had some around 5-6 years ago. That seems strange.

Blog Entries
    --if only tea didn't smell and taste like lawn clippings...
    LOL, fair enough. Though they do have a variety of flavors.
    Like:

Fescue Freeze

Turf Tornado

Red Eye Rye

Long Bent of Summer

and my favorite

St. Augustine Swirl with just a hint of Crab

jtk