Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me or are these prices out of hand?

Is it just me or are these prices out of hand?

First let me say that I'm not in the best of moods today so maybe I'm overreacting.

I've mentioned here before how most of the table saws on Craig's List in my are are junk. Even though I have a new Laguna Fusion I still enjoy looking at what's available in the local market. I also do this for tools I need like a drill press. But today these stood out. (if either of them is your posting I apologize but would like to know your reasoning).

Used Craftsman with really bad rust and a broken motor mount. Asking $300 'https://brunswick.craigslist.org/tls/d/table-saw/6587451451.html

Powermatic 12" TS Asking $3000
    'https://ocala.craigslist.org/tls/d/powermatic-12-table-saw/6578533601.html

Is it just me or are these prices off base?
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 06-03-2018 at 1:03 PM. Reason: fixed the title, removed direct links
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

There are idiots everywhere. I'm just shocked that they didn't include the key numbskull phrases like, "I know what it's worth" and "rare one of a kind, don't lowball me!!" Things are worth whatever someone will pay for them. On the other hand, if the pickings are slim where you live, they can ask for more. My friend lives part time in Maryland, part here in AZ. When he drives his ancient Toyota Four-runner to Maryland, people offer him big cash to buy it right there, although he's never wanted to sell it. Here it's not worth much. Why? All cars there are rusted junk.

My Unisaw was $500 on CL with a Biesmeyer fence and extended rails (but missing the table part). I thought that was a steal, but for the most part these old saws are rarely over $1k here. Here's the most expensive one I've seen in a while, but seems well worth it... 'https://tucson.craigslist.org/tls/d/tricked-out-delta-unisaw/6601531158.html
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 06-03-2018 at 8:02 PM. Reason: removed link

Blog Entries
    Marshall, It seems the locals are voting with their lack of interest in these two ads since they have both been around for a while.

I have seen people list rust bucket and broken Stanley #45 planes for outrageous prices because in their mind there is some rarity to one in that condition. Maybe they have been smoking something way more powerful than any other man or woman has ever known.

As Carlos says, location can make a big difference.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I think a lot of this type ad, is by family members cleaning out an estate. They look on CL for comps and choose unwisely.

There is one on my local list advertising a 'wood saw' in the box. The pictured box plainly says it is a HF lathe.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I'm shopping for a small travel trailer to pull with my Jeep. I keep finding junk (COUGH) er..."vintage" like this for crazy prices...

image.png.e609cfca32130969861da735337f03b9.jpg

I've got the same problem here, woodworking is just not a big thing so usually, there is nothing at all on Craigslist and when something shows up, it is vastly overpriced for rusted out junk. I will never understand how people can expect to sell thing when they are buried under garbage, rusted solid and just dirty. How long does it take to wipe off the crap?

The sellers are not the idiots. They're are waiting for THE idiots to respond! Caveat Emptor!

Marshall

Yep, those prices are out of whack.
    I look at CL a lot also, mostly the NE area, and there are much, much, better prices than that.
    If you're willing to part with $3K for a used table saw, you're in the Tannewitz/Oliver/Northfield range.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

While this price was out of line, regionally, prices can vary dramatically. For reasons, I haven't figured out, Craigslist prices for woodworking and other tools locally are incredibly high. I quit looking some time ago.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Marshall

Yep, those prices are out of whack.
    I look at CL a lot also, mostly the NE area, and there are much, much, better prices than that.
    If you're willing to part with $3K for a used table saw, you're in the Tannewitz/Oliver/Northfield range.
    Not much in the line of old iron locally unless a Craftsman table saw and ROS count as old iron.

My theory is that when norther woodworkers get older they sell off all of their old iron and move to Florida where they buy newer stuff. Then when they get too old or die its only the newer junk that shows up on CL. That would explain our lack of big iron (left behind up north) and all the Craftsman level stuff we see here.
    Marshall
    A Stickley fan boy.

Blog Entries
    Guys, please refrain from posting live links to auction sites or want ad sites. When those items sell the links go dead and become useless.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by lee schierer View Post
    guys, please refrain from posting live links to auction sites or want ad sites. When those items sell the links go dead and become useless.
    ok........
    Marshall
    A Stickley fan boy.

Marshall I feel your pain. I live about 2 1/2 hours from you in SW Ga. and the pickings are slim. A lot of Craftsman saws and such. On the rare occasion that you do find a gem, it's either too far to drive considering gas prices or the "Vintage" tool is too overly priced. And often times it is pure junk.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eure View Post
    Marshall I feel your pain. I live about 2 1/2 hours from you in SW Ga. and the pickings are slim. A lot of Craftsman saws and such. On the rare occasion that you do find a gem, it's either too far to drive considering gas prices or the "Vintage" tool is too overly priced. And often times it is pure junk.
    Well, that Craftsman saw is in Brunswick. Take a drive over there and get it. make it a beach day while you are at it.
    Marshall
    A Stickley fan boy.

Marshall I was thinking nearly the same thing the other day when I was shopping fo an oil filter on fleabay. The filter I bought was +/- $10.00. There were at least 10 identical filters listed for >$50.

The only thing I can think of is that some people are stupid enough to pay the higher prices.