Thread: What is the purpose of this?

What is the purpose of this?

This piece is in a client’s office. Does anyone know the purpose of this box built into the lower base of this desk?

270368C7-E4EC-418A-8403-7739CA24CEFE.jpg 45E3415D-0E6D-4172-A65C-D0B3A1EB688F.jpg

Thanks!

My first thought was that you put the power supplies and some of the long cords in there. But I see them on top the desk. I'm guessing it's just misc storage. It will be interesting to see what others know.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

3. I think that’s where Tony Montana kept his “little friend”

It appears to do double duty as a food rest.

what goes inside is indeterminate at this point.

Could be for hiding a UPS or power strip etc. Cable on desk top could just mean that the client is just as clueless as you are about it.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Blog Entries
    It is a secret storage adrea that's no longer secret.

I don't see any venting for electronics. Probably just misc. storage, maybe for printer paper.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

It is just secret storage executed in a not very secret manner. To be properly secret it needs a bit more work to hide the hinges and gaps. It also needs a tricky locking mechanism. What gets put into it is entirely up to the user's discretion. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    It is just secret storage executed in a not very secret manner. To be properly secret it needs a bit more work to hide the hinges and gaps. It also needs a tricky locking mechanism. What gets put into it is entirely up to the user's discretion. Cheers
    Maybe it's not a secret but a place to put your shoes after you put on the house shoes stored there.

I think it's to keep the desk from breaking into two pieces when picked up. Looks to me like the support under the top
    drawers is open on left side ,so it is not one piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Vigorito View Post
    I think that’s where Tony Montana kept his “little friend”
    I think so

I doubt it's for cabling- there aren't any good places to actually RUN the wires (at least in the pics). If there were some holes or something in the back then you could make a case for power supply cables.

Thanks all. I was thinking maybe there was some historic purpose...maybe it is just for misc. storage. It did not have any ports or holes for power cables, etc., so I agree that probably isn’t the purpose.