Thread: Acquiring a Powermatic 180 planer - and refocusing on setting up my shop

Acquiring a Powermatic 180 planer - and refocusing on setting up my shop

Hi folks.
    A year or so ago I started putting together a woodworking shop because I have 2 or 3 years of work ahead of me just getting caught up on putting a couple houses worth of trim and cabinets together. "Life Happens" as usual and events occurred which slid all that to the back burner, but I'm on the verge of finally being able to get the shop together. It's getting a whole new steel roof to make it watertight (finally!) and then I can get to work. So I'm glad to be back here to eavesdrop on what a woodworker does.

I have use used a lunchbox planer now and then for a very long time, but I figured it's time to step that up. I've come across a reasonable deal on a Powermatic 180 planer and it's highly likely I'm gonna pick it up tomorrow. It's not a steal, but it's cheaper than a new Grizzly (helical head) even and I figured this will likely be a fair bit better anyways. The cool thing about it is it's outfitted with a single phase 7-1/2hp motor and already has a Byrd head on it, which for me was a "must-have" so saves me having to retrofit it.

According to the seller it works fine and has new belts at least, so from what I can tell the only thing I might want to spend time on is to make a couple better bits of sheet metal on it to upgrade some "make do" covers that apparently were misplaced in its history. It also doesn't have the grinding jig, but of course I won't need that anyway. It's under power so I can run some stuff through it as I'm checking it out before I pull the trigger.

Any advice for things to inspect when I go to look it over?
    I'm kind of excited to be picking this planer up since, partly because of my helical head requirement, I kind of expected to have to go with a Grizzly or the like. This thing is a beast compared to what I imagined I'd end up with. I don't want my excitement to cloud my better judgement so any caveats you can offer are welcome.

Thanks.
    And of course I'll show a picture or few once and if it ends up in my shop area (have to call it a "shop area" so far since it's not quite an actual shop yet).

It’s quite an upgrade over the grizzly! There will be lots of information on it over at OWWM, it’s a must do for old Arn. Since it already has a helical head, whether likely it has had some attention the past 20 years, so there shouldn’t be a whole lot wrong with it. Ask the seller to run a few boards through it, use your ears and listen see what it looks like.

The Powermatic 180 is a great planer. I looked at a couple of them. From what I have been told, the older, the better. Guys who are really into Powermatics usually ask what color it is or was originally. I think the green ones are most desired? Either way, a PM 180 will be a HUGE leap from your lunchbox planer.

Good luck

If the planer came with on onboard grinder, take it and the original head. They are worth money to others. Some machines came with a funky head with many short knives. Those are unloved and generally the machines that are swapped out for the insert. The 180 with a grinder and straight knives are designed so well that the spiral isn't an upgrade once you used the onboard grinder. Dave

We worked for years with several different "lunchbox" units until we upgraded to a PM 180. Ours is green and our guys really like it alot. Why would anybody even look at a new machine when there are hundreds of these available for reasonably cheap $$.

That is a solid planer and whoever did the head upgrade probably cared enough about it to keep it tuned up. I would take a straightedge to check the bed for wear and an accurate caliper to check for consistent thickness coming off the machine. Run some narrow pieces through at each side and in the center to check for consistent feed. As long as the machine has been lubricated and not abused you should be able to adjust the bed,feed and bed rollers, chipbreaker and pressure bar to get good results. The pressure bar can be filed into compliance if necessary. Look carefully for any broken parts and take the cover off the feed works to check for excessive wear on the gears. Run the table up and down through its range. One thing I found on my green 160 was that the motor was not properly grounded, so that is worth checking out if and when you get it home. Be aware that you will need a heavy gauge power supply (#8?) and breaker to feed that 7 1/2 hp beast. You can probably find a manual at OWWM. Good luck.

Well too late for inspection advice, but I pretty much did what you all listed. It's no showpiece but not in bad shape. Seems to work just fine. Table has a couple gouges but as long as it's flat that's not a problem. It's old and came from a school, so I'd expect some dings.
    It's safe & sound & on the ground. 40A breaker seems to run it fine and I already had a matching plug to fit it all wired up already - that's an absolute "first ever".
    Didn't come with the grinder nor the original head the school took out. I'm fine with that.

20180603_154042.jpg 20180603_154032.jpg
    Last edited by Vinito Caleb; 06-03-2018 at 4:58 PM.

Looks like a fine machine! Congrats!

I have a 160 16" model that's identical but just smaller. Here's a link that I used to set mine up. I also went to Owwm.org and was able to download another manual. Helped me out a lot as the blades were shot on mine and the rollers didn't move. Pretty simple machine after I read the manual about 5 times and eased my anxiousness to start it. I also found a guy on youtube who has no joke a 30+ min video on him setting the blades, bed, chipbreaker etc. If I can find I'll post the link.

I dialed mine and with feeler gauges and a dial indicator. Works great! I don't use the bed rollers. They actually cause more snipe then eliminate.

https://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/do...docid=10657088

Is yours missing any internal pieces such as the pressure bar or chipbreaker? It's listed on page 11 of this link.

Excellent planer in it's size class. I rebuilt one several years ago, and they are very well designed and built by Powermatic. A major upgrade to any of the asian import machines for probably 1/4 the price. Even as a straight up trade, money wise, a great investment.

If you go through the setup of these with a dial indicator and a jig or two, you can easily get the bed rollers, pressure bar, etc.... set up to eliminate snipe completely. I sold mine when I found a 221D (20" version of same machine) with a bigger motor. Great planers.
    Jeff

Here is the one I found at a public school auction - set me back $100.00. Been running great for the last five years

51170324-FE99-4F15-9185-68D30CA7A65C.jpg

Wow, $100. What a steal.
    I did find that youtube video with the guy showing how to adjust all the workin's. It's really a clear and well-made video. I'm planning to go through it all like that pretty soon. As it sits it feeds OK and will plane a board, but I'm sure a little tweaking could make it just sweet.
    I finally assembled my dust collector that's been sitting in the box for three years and hooked it up. Sure is a ton nicer with a dust collector going with it. My table saw, jointer and band saw all have a 4" connection for it already too, so that should help.
    Every time I fire this thing up just to run yet another board through it just to see it work (like a kid on Christmas) I like this thing more and more. It will sure be a useful addition to the shop. I'm starting on the roof tomorrow. Depending on how the rest of the world decides to act toward me, I might have it water-tight in a week or two. Can hardly wait.