Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music Stand - graduation present for my Niece

Music Stand - graduation present for my Niece

I recently finished a music stand for my Niece, who is graduating from college with a BA in Music. I used the Woodsmith magazine plans as a starting point, then customized the design as I went along, using almost exclusively hand tools and mortise and tenon joinery. I ended up using walnut for the frame and curly maple for the "staves" in the book plate. I also built it so that the entire music stand breaks down into three pieces for easy transport (essential for a college grad!).

I finished the piece with a wash coat of amber shellac, topped by a custom wax mixture recipe from Don Williams. It is a fairly complex blend of natural waxes, resins, and solvent that provides a very beautiful, hard-wearing surface. Gorgeous stuff - I'm glad I hunted down all the ingredients and mixed up a couple of batches.

TedP

20180329_134135.jpg
    20180329_134153.jpg
    20180329_134433.jpg
    20180329_135115.jpg
    20180329_135131.jpg

Wow....that's really lovely! What a wonderful gift, too!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Very nice. I really like it.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Outstanding! And well adjustable! (Some don't make the effort)

Music stands are often taken for granted - until you have to use a wobbly one that you can't adjust. Yours is beautiful and functional and I'm sure will be treasured. Beautiful work!
    "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
    -Steven Wright.

Very nice piece.............I'm sure she will cherish it!

Beautiful! I love gifts that are thoughtfully personal like this - tailored to the interests and needs of the recipient.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Very nicely executed and great results! She will cherish it, I am sure!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Beautiful work. She will love it.
    Charlie Jones

Beautiful - solid design, material selection, craftsmanship and finish. Winner, winner, go eat dinner.

Nice work!

Great work. Where did you get the hardware you used? (for the adjustments)

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Handsome piece. I think the take down design would be greatly enhanced by having a case for the three pieces. We have a friend who is a musician and he used to take a couple of fine old stands to gigs. He was shocked to see how carelessly
    some of the set up people were with real wood stands. And a fine gift related to music is also an encouragement toward disciplined and productive practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Great work. Where did you get the hardware you used? (for the adjustments)

Mike
    Thanks, Mike! I bought a couple of off-the-shelf drawer handles then re-tapped them for 1/4"x25 thread. I cut some threaded rod to length and epoxied one end into one of the knobs. I also got some thin rubber washers and cut them down to the appropriate size and added them to the inside of the adjustment point - providing a bit of grip for the bearing surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Phillips View Post
    Thanks, Mike! I bought a couple of off-the-shelf drawer handles then re-tapped them for 1/4"x25 thread. I cut some threaded rod to length and epoxied one end into one of the knobs. I also got some thin rubber washers and cut them down to the appropriate size and added them to the inside of the adjustment point - providing a bit of grip for the bearing surface.
    Very creative solution. Thanks for posting that.

I should build a music stand - my wife is a professional musician.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.