Thread: Plane Iron flat backs

Plane Iron flat backs

In 2016 there was a ruler trick thread going. I happened to have been given the two planes pictured. Because of that thread I decided to work up the newer of the 2 to show how I was taught to sharpen. I don't use the same ways now but it does work just fine. The plane is a newer Stanley, one that's not supposed to be quality. I did nothing to the plane. I took the iron out gave the bevel a rub on a medium/fine carborundum stone, laid the flat back across the end of the stone pulled back and out over the edge to remove the wire edge. Stropped it on leather with green. Tried it on rift sawn oak, hickory and the shavings are shown. Tried it on QS oak edge for thin shaving, it's shown. Did a little end grain on construction lumber. No back flattening, no ruler trick. You be the judge.
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

I had to continue for the rest of the photos. All of this was done in 2016 and I decided not to post then. The other thread about the ruler trick got me to post. I don't advocate any particular way to sharpen. I guess I just wanted to show a lot of things work just fine.
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

The results spoke for themselves.

When it comes to sharpening, many overthink and overdo. That's fine as long as they dont brand their way as the only way.

Simon

Also for your reading pleasure. Pages 58 and 59 of The Complete Woodworker, by Bernard E. Jones, describes almost the same process that I was taught.
    Jim

And I was taught that there are 2 primary surfaces to a cutting edge, and you don't achieve sharp by just working the bevel side on the stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    And I was taught that there are 2 primary surfaces to a cutting edge, and you don't achieve sharp by just working the bevel side on the stone.

You will get no argument about that from me Stewie. I don't know why you used that photo. That's end grain on a construction 2x4 with a jack plane. It's not a smooth plane or a low angle plane cut. It looks good to me for a jack plane.
    Jim

I can’t get the pictures to come up. We all have developed our own sharpening technique, I keep the back flat and polished. Micro bevels are a short cut to forming an edge but I only use them on one edge if at all. For bevel down planes a small micro bevel is not the end of the world. Today’s thick, hard, plane blades are serious work to sharpen, an old Stanley blade is some light relief.

Your stone choices change as you get better and cost more! As so much of wood work relies on that little edge it is worth getting good at it. If you are not good at sharpening then all those tools are wasted.

Blog Entries
    I use micro-back bevels. I do and always will.

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    You will get no argument about that from me Stewie. I don't know why you used that photo. That's end grain on a construction 2x4 with a jack plane. It's not a smooth plane or a low angle plane cut. It looks good to me for a jack plane.
    Jim
    Stewart loves to use photos to make a point. Trouble is that sometimes that point is only known to him.