Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New bench planning

I had a thought this morning. I'm now considering splitting the top in half lengthwise and joining them for long narrow bench with a tool tray. I think this will be the best use of this beast. It's way too heavy for a mini bench top bench.

So cut it in half, cut a 1/2" dado all the way across to join them and possibly a bow-tie on the front face or just add another board to the entire face. Then I'll start thinking about the base and possibly mortising the legs into it.

AFAIK end caps on workbenches are mostly for looks, then I'll say "but".

On this bench the top is flatsawn boards and the endcaps are splined onto the ends of the top, similar to a breadboard end.
    IMG_1802.jpg

On this bench, the endcap is simply applied for looks to cover the end grain, which had tongue and grooved (it was a section of bowling alley).
    Shop bench2.jpg

I made it a little smaller, it's now ~15 X 37". It's still large enough for a small stand alone bench. I think I would need to splay the legs though. I'm still thinking on it.
    20180607_080632.jpg
    I got my 26" transitional working, it was a bit fiddly but once everything was right it cut effortlessly. I'm really getting up to speed on all of my planes with this and I'm loving that. The 28" woody behind it is next to get operational. It's got some cracks I'm planning to fix by cutting and inserting wood or epoxy.
    20180607_080740.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have often thought of fabbing up a second smaller and taller bench dedicated to joinery tasks where I need my eyes closer to the targets. Something along the size that you just cut would work for me.
    David

Now this post I can relate to. I've been working on flattening the top of my new bench on and off for a while. The glue up of the two halves that make the top didn't go quite as well as I thought and there was a valley between the two sides. I started off with my cambered #5 jack to hog off the high spots as quickly as possible. I'm on to my jointer now and may stop there.

Lots of sources out there on how to flatten a bench top with hand planes. https://www.finewoodworking.com/2012...ing-a-benchtop as an example and lots of youtube videos.

I now have a drawing that I created in Sketchup. I wasn't sure until today what I wanted from this little top. This will be more stable than the single piece I had.

SmallBenchPlan.JPG