Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fast food utensils - before plastic

Waxed paper straws- anyone besides me that used to ram them thru raw potatoes? Very hard to do with plastic straws, need that wax!

wood stick spoons-
    os.jpg
    I just finished eating the one in front there -- these things are like Dreamcicle's in a cup, which BTW along with Fudgecicle, Popcicles and even the high-end Magnums all come attached to a stick!

---And, you guys who say you grew up with no fast food-- ? I'm 64, and back in the 50's we had FrostStops, Hires, and several family owned burger joints, the one near us was the Auntie-Freeze, they sold burgers, fries, hot dogs and fish n' chips... 25c got you an actual LARGE order of fries, a paper bag (1 size up from a lunch sack) about 2/3 full.. Once a week my old man would buy us dinner there, a dozen burgers and a bag o' fries, I think the bill was less than $3...

And then there were these--
    swanson.jpg
    -I guess those aluminum trays weren't exactly 'utinsels', but haven't seen one of those in awhile-
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I do remember Slim Pickens last movie where he was trying to sell folks a franchise to "Spaghetti in a sack". yes it would fall through the sack but that is what it fun and exciting to the customers.
    Bil lD

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I do remember Slim Pickens last movie where he was trying to sell folks a franchise to "Spaghetti in a sack". yes it would fall through the sack but that is what it fun and exciting to the customers.
    Bil lD
    Was that before or after riding and atomic bomb like it was a bucking bronco?

Blog Entries
    I'm pretty libertarian, but banning plastic bags in my area would be awesome.

There are just problems that individuals can't solve very well, but collections of people can solve. Maybe we could tax them out of existence vs outright banning. Either way, whales dying after ingesting pounds of plastic is not acceptable.

I've read that landfills are so compacted these days that biodegradable products don't really degrade due to lack of oxygen.

This was a much later movie. You are thinking of Dr. Strangelove or how I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snTaSJk0n_Y
    Bill d

This thread made me look it up. Those Chinese food paper boxes are an American invention. they are called oyster boxes. Invented around 1880 when people bought lots of fresh shucked oysters to take home and cook until overfishing and pollution destroyed the harvest.
    Bill D.

Blog Entries
    -I guess those aluminum trays weren't exactly 'utinsels', but haven't seen one of those in awhile-
    You can thank the microwave oven for that.

As technology evolves, it can displace other technologies.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)