Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fast food utensils - before plastic

I have noticed in my area many smaller buisness using biodegradable forks and knifes..

No idea what’s they are made of “maybe the corn starch suggested above”?

Whatever the case I’m all for it. Plastic is evil. As a woodworker I despise the stuff across the board..

I also am loving the paper bags at Home Depot.

How does that paper bag hold up when it's pouring rain? I'm not a fan of plastic bags for everything. Somehow, baggers think your groceries get lighter if you use more bags, especially if you are on the north side of seventy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    How does that paper bag hold up when it's pouring rain? I'm not a fan of plastic bags for everything. Somehow, baggers think your groceries get lighter if you use more bags, especially if you are on the north side of seventy.
    Spain was way ahead of us back in 1960, when you went shopping there you used net shopping bags like these.
    bag.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    There are various news stories about bans on "single use" plastic utensils and straws. That makes me try to remember what utensils came with fast food when I was a kid. I remember wax paper straws. I'm tempted to say that there were wooden knives, forks, and spoons because this seems logical. However, I can't honestly say I remember them. Were they ever common? Or was it assumed that people would not need utensils? (I remember the days when hamburgers were more stoutly constructed. It was safe to assume you'd only need your hands.)
    I think the idea was a concerted effort to help people eat less.

"Invasion of the Sporks!".

Coming to your town soon.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

On my trips to see my Grandkids, I stop at a regional coffee shop in Ohio, they use compostable cups and lids, I like them, feel good in the hand, transfer less heat and no plastic aftertaste. On grocery bags we purchased bags that are woven fabric, take to market and reuse, some even have zippers and are insulated. Chuck a bag of ice on top and it keeps everything cool if you have a ways to travel. Seafood department supply's the ice gratis. We've been using the same bags for years as they're stronger than plastic or paper.
    Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    I have noticed in my area many smaller buisness using biodegradable forks and knifes..

No idea what’s they are made of “maybe the corn starch suggested above”?

Whatever the case I’m all for it. Plastic is evil. As a woodworker I despise the stuff across the board..

I also am loving the paper bags at Home Depot.
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 06-03-2018 at 4:08 PM.

I can remember getting shrimp or oysters at the beach in the summer. You were given a paper cup of shrimp or oysters a little paper cup of cocktail sauce and a small 2 prong wooden fork. It was longer than the ice cream spoons. It may have been only at that one place we used to go tho. I loved the oysters. It wasn't until I was older that I realized they they were canned oysters and not fresh. Shrimp or oysters and a cold orange Nehi, I was good to go at 8 years old until the sunburn got more than I could take. I'm guessing that those wooden forks were meant to get the olive out of adult beverages.
    Jim

I’m more than willing to have my purchases strewn all over the parking lot if I can help just one bag from contributing the the messes like the link below popping up all over out oceans..

http://www.collective-evolution.com/...ean-coastline/

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    "Invasion of the Sporks!".

Coming to your town soon.
    How about some of these:

"Sporknado"

"Night of the Living Spork"

"Sporkerman"

"Sporkenstein"

Or for the travel oriented:

"Sporks Ahoy"

"Sporks to Alaska"

"Tie a Yellow Ribbon Around the old Spork Tree"

Okay, that last one is a bit much and should be a musical.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Our local drive in movie sold fast food on paper plates. You could even order a pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    Our local drive in movie sold fast food on paper plates. You could even order a pizza.
    Is that the pizza that was "baked" under the heat lamps?
    Jim

I hear tell of a new network it will an all sporks format.
    My local newspaper has a good "sporks" section.
    This reminds me of a Monty Python skit about news for 'STORAGE JARS"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjiR2GkXK2Q

BILL D

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    I love a good broccoli and cheese soup!
    The soup part is difficult, at best, to consume with those small flat wooden spoons being discussed so a person would probably have to resort to drinking from the bowl?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Is that the pizza that was "baked" under the heat lamps?
    Jim
    I think it was some kind of a toaster oven, if I recall correctly. The "red bulb" devices that resembled a microwave came a little later on, at least in our area. These machines sat next to a vending machine that had premade, and probably pre-cooked, sandwiches in a special crinklely celephane pouch. A Phillips 66 had one in my hometown.
    At the time there were no pizza places anywhere near us.
    At some point in the early to mid 60s a pizza spot opened up downtown.
    We always had a great time when we'd get hungry for pizza at home. Mom would lay out every kind of cheese and meat, onions and so forth, in a line that covered the entire kitchen counters. She'd stir up a big bowl of dough and each of us made our own crust and went down the line adding whatever looked good.
    It was quite a special event for me and my siblings.
    For a long time prior to pizza chains forming you could buy pizza kits in grocery stores. Came with a can of sause, dough mix and, I think, a packet of dried cheese.
    Perhaps they still do?

Waxed paper straws. I hated them. I despise the notion of them making a comeback.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.