Thread: Calling Osborne EB-3 owners - do you also use a Sled?

Calling Osborne EB-3 owners - do you also use a Sled?

Are there any Osborne EB-3 owners who can comment on how well this mitre gauge works in comparison to a shop built sled?

I use the EB-3 and yes, I have 2 sleds. For wider pieces, I prefer the sled. For extremely small, pieces I prefer my small parts sled. For long, not so wide or not heavy pieces I use my EB-3. For angles other than 90º, the EB3 is my "go to" tool.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 06-01-2018 at 1:12 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I have one also. I haven't built a sled but I have thought about making a small parts sled too. I have cut wider pieces though. Here is a video that shows how quickly the EB-3 can be made to cut wider panels.
    <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RcChmHntes&amp;t=10s" target="_blank">
    Last edited by Jon Wolfe; 05-31-2018 at 9:37 PM.

Thanks Guys,

That helps a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wolfe View Post
    Here is a video that shows how quickly the EB-3 can be made to cut wider panels.
    I watched this video few days ago this partly prompted me to ask the question. It seems that I should be able to avoid making a panel sled, but small part sled sounds like a good idea.

I have one of these. I use it on my jobsite table saw,a Delta contractor saw. Not sure if my unit is the "eb3" it looks slightly different on the video. I do reverse it and use it for cutting stair treads and risers to length and plywood/O.S.B . pieces. I also had a sliding crosscut box for my table saw ,but it was large (25'' crosscut) so my uses were complimentary and did not overlap. The gauge is an excellent tool and greatly expands the ability of a standard miter gauge. I would say that unless you need to cut wide pieces 24'' or so on a regular basis you will be well served by the gauge about 75% of the time. Probably will need another sled or two eventually. Or just buy a sliding saw. Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I use the EB-3 and yes, I have 2 sleds. For wider pieces, I prefer the sled. For extremely small, pieces I prefer my small parts sled. For long, not so wide or not heavy pieces I use my EB-3. For angles other than 90º, the EB3 is my "go to" tool.
    I'm in the same boat as Ken. I bought my EB-3 from a fellow Creeker as a replacement for the stock miter gauge that came with my table saw. It's much more stable and reliable for angled cuts and can cut 90-degrees in a pinch, but for most items and I typically reach for either my shop made panel sled or cross cut sled.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wolfe View Post
    I have one also. I haven't built a sled but I have thought about making a small parts sled too. I have cut wider pieces though. Here is a video that shows how quickly the EB-3 can be made to cut wider panels.
    <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RcChmHntes&amp;t=10s" target="_blank">
    I would be uncomfortable allowing the EB-3 that far past the miter slot. Does it maintain stability?