Thread: Boss Laser 1630

Boss Laser 1630

I知 looking to buy a New Boss Laser 1630 and was looking for some feedback on the company and the 1630.
    Any and all info or comments. What other equipment should I get.
    I知 new to laser cutting but not afraid to dive in.
    I値l be using it for light to med hobby / Etsy sales.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John Nicolosi View Post
    I’m looking to buy a New Boss Laser 1630 and was looking for some feedback on the company and the 1630.
    Any and all info or comments. What other equipment should I get.
    I’m new to laser cutting but not afraid to dive in.
    I’ll be using it for light to med hobby / Etsy sales.

Thanks
    Search yields > https://sawmillcreek.org/search.php?searchid=9282166

In addition there are a couple of Stickys that may cover your question.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Bill is correct, this is probably a topic that should be searched as I know I personally have answered this question 2-3 times over the last couple of years.

Anyways, I'll give you a quick rundown of my basic opinions:

Boss is a good/reputable company. And support is good/knowledgeable as well.

With Boss, or Rabbit, or any other new US reseller of Chinese machines you're basically paying a (small) premium on top of the Chinese machine's cost for them to import/inspect/upgrade the machine; and then for their US based support and warranty on the machine. You can almost always import a comparable Chinese machine yourself for less, but I think for most people it is worth the trade-off for your first machine if you're sure you're going the Chinese route. They will save you a lot of headaches. You'll likely also have your machine 30+ days sooner in a lot of cases.

I like the 1630 a lot, and still use it for almost all of my cutting. The real weak-point (as with all of the Chinese machines I've seen) is the speed. They cut at basically the same speed as a comparable wattage machine made by the big 3 Western machines (Trotec, Epilog, or Universal). But the raster speed is much much slower. For some people that may not matter at all, for some people that may be a deal breaker.

My final piece of advice, if you do go with a chiller for the 1630, pony up the money for a CW5000; or just stick with the ice bucket and water pump. The CW3000 is basically worthless unless you live in a climate where the temperature never gets above 85 degrees F.

Good luck on your search, and welcome to the creek.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Downing View Post
    Bill is correct, this is probably a topic that should be searched as I know I personally have answered this question 2-3 times over the last couple of years.

Anyways, I'll give you a quick rundown of my basic opinions:

Boss is a good/reputable company. And support is good/knowledgeable as well.

With Boss, or Rabbit, or any other new US reseller of Chinese machines you're basically paying a (small) premium on top of the Chinese machine's cost for them to import/inspect/upgrade the machine; and then for their US based support and warranty on the machine. You can almost always import a comparable Chinese machine yourself for less, but I think for most people it is worth the trade-off for your first machine if you're sure you're going the Chinese route. They will save you a lot of headaches. You'll likely also have your machine 30+ days sooner in a lot of cases.

I like the 1630 a lot, and still use it for almost all of my cutting. The real weak-point (as with all of the Chinese machines I've seen) is the speed. They cut at basically the same speed as a comparable wattage machine made by the big 3 Western machines (Trotec, Epilog, or Universal). But the raster speed is much much slower. For some people that may not matter at all, for some people that may be a deal breaker.

My final piece of advice, if you do go with a chiller for the 1630, pony up the money for a CW5000; or just stick with the ice bucket and water pump. The CW3000 is basically worthless unless you live in a climate where the temperature never gets above 85 degrees F.

Good luck on your search, and welcome to the creek.
    Thanks so much for the response. This is a big purchase for me, especially when its not a business making machine- hobby use.
    I unknowingly purchased a CW 5000 D&N brand from eBay hoping to save money but then realized its a S&A knockoff.
    I also looked at the 1420 and then thought that the size and future upgrading to 100w will be eliminated.

Thoughts on the 1420 seeing I have no particular cutting / etching size in mind yet ?

Thanks
    John

Needs, wants and budget are different for everyone. So it's pretty difficult to give you specific advice.

That said, I think most people would generally advise you to get the largest machine you think you'll need and can reasonably afford. And, especially for a machine whose strength is cutting, I wouldn't want to do without the larger table and the pass-throughs.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Downing View Post
    Needs, wants and budget are different for everyone. So it's pretty difficult to give you specific advice.

That said, I think most people would generally advise you to get the largest machine you think you'll need and can reasonably afford. And, especially for a machine whose strength is cutting, I wouldn't want to do without the larger table and the pass-throughs.
    No doubt. Well then the 1630 it is.

Quote Originally Posted by John Nicolosi View Post
    No doubt. Well then the 1630 it is.
    I hope your Searching yielded some knowledge. Boss is one of the better machines, I do not own one but reading on here is an education, so many smart people and Keith is at the top!! 1630 a wise choice.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10