Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kreg K4 or K5. Which one do you recommend?

Kreg K4 or K5. Which one do you recommend?

I want to get a Kreg pocket whole jig but I can't decide which one.

The K4 is cheaper and I can get it from Lowes for $89 with my Veteran's discount. But I think I would like the clamping mechanism better on the K5 which Lowes doesn't stock so the price will jump to the Amazon price of $129.

So I need your input. Which do you prefer/recommend and why?

Thanks.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

I have the k4, it works fine but I am planning to sell it and get a k5. The main reason is the clamping lever on the k5 is in front of the piece rather than behind on the k4.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A Jordan View Post
    I have the k4, it works fine but I am planning to sell it and get a k5. The main reason is the clamping lever on the k5 is in front of the piece rather than behind on the k4.
    Thanks Robert. It s the front facing clamping lever and the fact that adjusting the clamp is pretty much automatic that have me leaning towards the K5. I don't have an opinion either way on the two storage bins of the K5.

Just trying to figure out if its worth the extra $40.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

My two other gripes with the K4 are (1) for working with long panels you'll need some kind of 3/4" landing pad on each side of the jig to keep the panels level (this is built into the K5), and (2) the height setting knurled knob for the K4 is almost impossible to access with the vacuum attachment attached. This would have easily been resolved by adding a screw head (Robertson square drive!?) on the knob (I honestly don't know of this issues is resolved for the K5).

K5 all the way! The clamping handle alone is worth it. Check eBay, there are usually bundles on there that either save some money or give you more for the same retail price. Thats how I got mine a few years ago.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I have the K4. If I was buying one today, I would get the K5.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I have the K3, which is like the K5 without the bells and whistles. As I understand it, Kreg was sued about the front mounted lever on the K3, and had to bring out the K4 until the suit was settled. Thus the upgraded K5.

As stated above, the front lever and the self adjusting clamp are real game changers. Try picturing yourself with a 24" tall cabinet side in the jig, and reaching around it every six inches fumbling to reach the clamp.

Another vote for the K5.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I have the K5 and have used my sons K4 we both agree the K5 is worth the difference in price.

I am happy with it but that being said after having watched a few video's on youtube of the Porter Cable unit i was not aware of it at the time I purchased the K5 i think it may be a better option. You might want to do a youtube search of it before you buy the kreg.

I never realized the K5 had the front lever. I thought it was the same as the K4 with the little bins added on. I was putting pocket holes in some rather big panels the other day and was quite annoyed with the location of the handle on the K4. I might be in for an upgrade.

I have both the K5 and K4, for panels the K5 is the way to go. My K4 usually has my HD Jig installed. 2 X material is pretty standard. The Vac attachment is a little better on the K5 in my opinion. I also suggest getting the next clamp size up for use off the K5/K4 6 inch, instead of the 3 inch. I started with the K2 kit, it came with the other jigs and had the better wings for setting up your outriggers. The K5 outrigger boxes work, but do not stay closed very well. Dan

From a cold an logical POV, I do not think it is worth the price difference to justify K5 over K4... but the pleasure to have the "right tool" can easily justify K5 at USD 130.

If you want an emotional motivation, you are at bargain even at USD 130 when compared to myself, as I paid the equivalent to almost USD 300 for my (metric version) K5 in my country!

All the best.

For such a game changing tool as the Kreg jig - I'd spend the difference in a heartbeat. Great invention.

Osvaldo,

They really sell a metric version? Is the size of the drill different? It just seems to me, that a slight difference in hole size would not be necessary.

Oops, it just occurred to me that perhaps the K5 has a ruler on the extension?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    They really sell a metric version? Is the size of the drill different? It just seems to me, that a slight difference in hole size would not be necessary.
    I bought my metric Foreman from a German distributor because of the motor voltage and frequency. The markings for material thickness are shown in millimeters and inches. I bought my K4 from a U.S. distributor, and the material thickness is shown in inches. The drills and screws are the same for both models, but less expensive from the U.S. vendor.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Oops, it just occurred to me that perhaps the K5 has a ruler on the extension?
    You mean on the extension "wings" it comes with? Not that I recall. If it does Ive never used it.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!