Thread: Overwelmed - looking to buy

Overwelmed - looking to buy

My brain is overflowing. I've read things all over and read about Chinese machines and US based companies. I'm looking to get into laser cutting/engraving. I have a CNC router (hobby grade) and have had a lot of fun with it over the years. But it's slow and doesn't do everything I want to do. I know I don't want a hobby grade machine. I plan to make things to sell. No intentions of getting rich or quitting day job. But I want to find the balance of creating things quickly and easily and being able to pay for itself in a year or less. I've got a brick and motor storefront to use. I've been furnishing a local winery that is about to open. We've been talking about some custom cutting/cheese boards, coasters, engraved glasses, engraved bottles... the list goes on. Nothing super elaborate, mostly just trinkets. It's also an opportunity for me to expose my kids to something they can help with and make a few bucks. So this isn't a scheme to start up a new business and quit the day job. It's between that and a hobby. I may or may not take custom orders. I see a lot of engraving and vector cutting, maybe photo engraving. Things I can do on my CNC but slower and less practical.

Who knows where it will go from there.

I don't have a problem spending the money for the right unit, I'm just having a hard time figuring out what that balance is. I'd prefer something that I don't have to tinker with. I just want it to work. Mostly the material will be wood. Some glass etching. Maybe some plastics. I'd like a decent size bed.

Seems like the big three are Trotec, ULS and Epilog. Seems like the Chinese lasers are popular too.

I'm open to any and all input. Good or bad.

I'm obviously biased but with good reason. I used my first Trotec Speedy 300 for 11 years with one week of downtime. That was to have the tube re-manufactured ($3000). That was my only maintenance expense in all that time. I sold that machine in December and bought a new more powerful Speedy 300. The old machine is in daily use at a gift store. I sold the old one for a good price so buying the new one was very easy.

I run a home based business and don't deal in home made products to sell--mostly commercial work where I engrave customers stuff.

Trotec tech support is top notch if you should need it.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I'm obviously biased but with good reason. I used my first Trotec Speedy 300 for 11 years with one week of downtime. That was to have the tube re-manufactured ($3000). That was my only maintenance expense in all that time. I sold that machine in December and bought a new more powerful Speedy 300. The old machine is in daily use at a gift store. I sold the old one for a good price so buying the new one was very easy.

I run a home based business and don't deal in home made products to sell--mostly commercial work where I engrave customers stuff.

Trotec tech support is top notch if you should need it.
    Still looking and researching, but I will say the Trotec reps have been great.

Dave you can not go wrong with a Trotec. They hold their resale value and they just work. I am trying to scale down my hobby/sideline business or otherwise I would consider one.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Don't know about ULS or Epilog but I do know a little about the pros and cons of Trotec vs Chinese lasers. Trotec does it better and quite often faster than any Chinese machine but if you need bed size it's Chinese for sure. I'll say this, which is all I shoulda said in the first place....if you've got the money to spend, buy a Trotec (or US model) and be done with it.
    Hobby Laser - 1800 X 1300 dual tube Shenhui (100 and 80W)