Thread: osmo question

osmo question

saw this article in finewoodworking
    https://www.finewoodworking.com/2017...-use-non-toxic

am about to place an order with toolsforworkingwood.com and saw they carry osmo so thought I might give it a try.

Question is, do I need to worry about rag disposal?

Thanks

Yes, dispose of rags the same way you would any oil/oxidizing finish.

BTW Osmo is all I've used for many years. I installed and finished all my RQSWO in my house, and it's bullet proof. Many,Many end tables etc and they hold up beautifully. The stuff is wonderful. I'm trying to use some other products now for dining tables, and having a hard time.
    Last edited by Andrew Goraj; 05-31-2018 at 11:01 AM.

ok, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Goraj View Post
    Yes, dispose of rags the same way you would any oil/oxidizing finish.
    For future reference, the key here is that it's a polymerizing oil. Polymerization is exothermic, or else it wouldn't happen to begin with (second law of thermodynamics - speaking very roughly, a polymer is a lower-entropy configuration than a puddle of unchained molecules, so it has to be offset by an energy release such that overall entropy increases) so any time you encounter a polymerizing finish you should just assume that the rags have to be handled with care.

The reason varnishes generally aren't a problem is because the vast majority of the polymerization happens during manufacture, when the oils and resins are "cooked" together to create the varnish.

The article looks interesting, except that I really hate abusing my show surfaces like that. I'm a bit of a "planed surface purist".
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 05-31-2018 at 3:54 PM.

I've used Osmo TopOil for years and it has earned a place in my finishing tool-kit. One nice thing is that it doesn't darken woods like a pure oil finish tends to do. It is also easy to apply and makes a very tough, good-looking finish.

Has anyone here done any testing on how well Osmo stands up to foods and common household cleaners?

John

John, I haven't done any controlled testing. But, I used OSMO on all of my flooring. And many furniture projects that we aren't easy on. Regarding the floors, We have crushed and stepped on berries, spilled mustard, ketchup, coffee, lots of water (OSMO/Wood floors in the kitchen too) beer and liqour. In addition we have a had vomit, urine, and a fair amount of my blood, all which wiped up without a trace. And we rarely catch these things immediately. I dropped a wrecking bar and it dented the floors. I spot sanded, reapplied the OSMO, and you can't tell it ever happened. Now, it's important to note these floors are NOT stained. I would be leery of spot sanding with stained floors.

I also have a 90lb Working line German Sherpherd Dog, who is hell on wheels. The floors look new still. Whereas the Poly'd floors got destroyed. More invasive/chemical testing would be interesting though.

Here are a few quick photos for those interested.IMG_5144.jpgIMG_5138.jpgIMG_5137.jpgIMG_5096.jpgFullSizeRender.jpg31416902_10155335853031073_5511095076933074944_n.jpg30716759_10155306265071073_5962540815992487936_n.jpg29663294_10155275371441073_4514086029800217817_o.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. The stuff sounds pretty darned durable.

John

Steven, not at all on the topic and a very remote chance but are you the Steven Lee I knew many years ago, in the 3D modeling and rendering field? The Ark, Tabernacle, etc?

JKJ