Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How to mitre cut 12/4 mahogany

Off topic, but am I the only one that hates those bow tie things? I understand their function, but especially when they're a contrasting color, they look like bandaids.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Off topic, but am I the only one that hates those bow tie things? I understand their function, but especially when they're a contrasting color, they look like bandaids.
    I don't like them either Nick.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    So...you're just trying to precisely copy another man's work?
    Redd herring anyone? I don't even think what he's trying to do constitutes copying. No more than using an ogee or a piece of maple does.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Great video! Thanks for posting.

That's my suggestion, get a big radial arm saw. My DeWalt GE with a 20" blade can do a 45 degree miter on far thicker stock than the OP is using. The saw only cost $300 but a suitable blade will cost about that much as well.

When the OP is done, he should keep the big RAS as it is invaluable for dadoes, crosscuts, and miters.

Blog Entries
    I would start the cut with an 8" skill saw and finish the cut with my D12 Disston hand saw.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Redd herring anyone? I don't even think what he's trying to do constitutes copying. No more than using an ogee or a piece of maple does.
    Exactly right, Johnny; Andy was either kidding (and left out the smiley face) or he was just being argumentative.

As for the job itself, from the photo the top piece looks fairly long, maybe long enough to become a weight and/or balance issue if trying to use a 45 degree sled with the blade vertical.

“Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness.”--Oscar Wilde

FD--what happened to original thought and the creative process? Why is innovation and thinking for oneself wrong?
    ps. I wasn't kidding or being argumentative; just trying to help the OP and anyone with an open mind.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

A thought just occurred to me about your miter problem. Contact Martin Woodworking Machinery and inquire about one of their table saws. They have some models that have cutting depths in excess of 5 inches; maybe more depending on model. Not too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    A thought just occurred to me about your miter problem. Contact Martin Woodworking Machinery and inquire about one of their table saws. They have some models that have cutting depths in excess of 5 inches; maybe more depending on model. Not too expensive.
    They also tilt both left and right.

The $70k cut......

If the OP lives near me he can come by and cut it on my RAS. I wonder what country he lives in?
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    That will definetly fix the problem
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.