Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to mitre cut 12/4 mahogany

Wade
    I make them out of plywood. Only because I detest MDF.
    It's just a crosscut sled with a platform table at 45 degrees to the blade. I've made them for router tables, and table saws.
    The material sets on top of the panel and is clamped in place.
    It has limitations for size though. You have to be able to control the wood.
    It takes a day or so to make one and a motor shim kit.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

OK someone just has to say this... John you are missing the dang point. What you have here is a golden opportunity to start your marriage off right. This is the perfect place to explain that you need one more tool to complete this project. Welcome to the 'creek' we are all pulling for you,good luck,Mike.

Home Depot use to rent a 16 1/4 Makita circular saw (haven't checked lately). It was for cutting landscaping timbers but post and beam guys use them all the time.

Blog Entries
    Being a good husband is being a bit of a salesman .

“Yes ma’am, that first cut is mighty expensive, but subsequent cuts are actually saving you money. By year-end this Martin T-70 will have saved you thousands. It would be downright wreckless not to buy it, I will act right away for the benefit of us both.”

Well, I don't have a Martin T-70, but I do have a Husky 266.

Great personal and wood working advice here. I have two more hurdles. The table top Is now laid up and is long and heavy. My table saw has a shim issue and I don’t have confidence in flipping the boards. I tried the combination of a jig and 45 degree bit on my router that got close but no cigar. (Comment about frustration not having the right tools is spot on)

I have some requests out to folks with better equipment. Will also pick up a japanease hand saw and hand planer today.

I’m in Charleston SC if anyone is in the area.

Wedding is Friday. There is still a chance. Thanks all!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't know how wide your wood is, but if it is under 16" maybe a radial arm saw. You can pick them up for $100 and sell it for the same when you are done.
    I haven't used one in 15 years, but I "think" it will do that.

Hopefully you have done something​ by now and don't need a solution anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    Without a handplane or a few other basic tools, i have to suggest the best method might be begging/paying someone local to do it. For example, for $20 id make that cut on my slider for you and send you on your way 5-10 mins later with a perfect joint.
    I agree. You are trying to do something for which you don't have the right tools. Look in your phone book for a local cabinet shop or a lumber yard that does mill work. That joint needs to be perfect. If you aren't already fluent in hand planes and hand saws, this is not the project for you to learn on.

If I'm understanding what the guys intend correctly, I don't think the sled idea will work either. That table looks more than twice as wide as a contractor saw's vertical depth of cut. And even if you can make 2 passes from opposite sides, I'd be concerned about getting both cuts perfectly aligned/flush. This just looks like a job for a big commercial tablesaw or a slider.

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 06-03-2018 at 3:09 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    That would ruin the waterfall with a band of endgrain.
    What waterfall have you ever seen that did not form a very large radius where it broke and changed directions (in fact changed appearance entirely)? None come to a sharply pointed edge.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Is it possible to reduce the thickness of your components to 2 - 1/2"?
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    What waterfall have you ever seen that did not form a very large radius where it broke and changed directions (in fact changed appearance entirely)? None come to a sharply pointed edge.
    What about the example table from the linked video in post #25 of this thread?

Or this example:

il_570xN.1087397403_pzdu.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    What about the example table from the linked video...
    So...you're just trying to precisely copy another man's work?
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

The first ten that google found...

[QUOTE=andy bessette;2818813]What waterfall have you ever seen that did not form a very large radius where it broke and changed directions (in fact changed appearance entirely)? None come to a sharply pointed edge.[/QUOTE
    Well, generally, when I've been asked for a waterfall edge, they want something like these.
    Attached Images Attached Images

So...you're just trying to precisely copy another man's work?
    Depending on the person's skill level, tooling or design talent, copying can be a perfectly reasonable thing to do. (Credit the person who's design you used, of course.) And it's a good way to learn.
    YMMV.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”