Thread: Hammer and Felder bandsaws

Hammer and Felder bandsaws

Hi,
    Does anyone know who makes Hammer's and Felder's bandsaws? I have the feeling they are both Italian made but it's not clear. Perhaps they make them themselves?

Any comments or user feedback from owners of either the Hammer N4400 or the Felder B510?

Edwin
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 06-06-2018 at 10:06 AM.

I believe the FB-510, 610, 710 and all Hammer bandsaws are Asian. The 640, 740 and 940 saws are produced by ACM in Italy.

I recently purchased an FB-510. I don't have enough experience with it to comment substantively on its use. It runs smoothly, it was easy to set up accurately, and test cuts have met or exceeded my expectations.

There are many comments, some conflicting, in this forum and elsewhere as to its origin. Capability was more important to me.

As far as I am aware, Hammer bandsaws are built in Italy. I have a N4400, which is 7 years old. Country of manufacture may have altered recently, but I am not aware of this.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 06-06-2018 at 11:51 AM.

This is a question that you will be hard-pressed to find a true answer for, I have tried at the various major trade shows and the best I have gotten is a "wink and a nod" answer. But I will tell you what I THINK to be the answer.

The X40 saws are the heavy saws and are the ones that are built to the same standards as the Centauro CO HD bandsaws which is what the Minimax MMXX/SPX00 saws are. The X40 saws are likely wholly built in Italy by ACM, however, it is rumored that ACM uses at least some Asian parts like castings since they do not have a foundry like SCMI does.

The X10 saws are a lighter saw similar to the ACM Lagunas and the Agazzanni saws that they imported here before Panhans bought them. My feeling is the X10 saws are built in Austria using parts from ACM which possibly mean the castings are from Asia.

The NXX00 saws are assembled in Austria but contain quite a bit of Asian content. And are similar weight to the Minimax N series saws.

The Felder/Hammer saws are high quality and I used to highly recommend the N4400 before the price jumped up (now they are too close to the MM16). Be aware that the parts/assembly of the machines has changed over the years and if you are indeed interested in the country of origin you will need to do your research for the time the machine was made. Again, these are all excellent saws, whether or not they offer the best value for money will vary from person to person. Myself I think the Minimax MM/SP saws are a better saw for the money if nothing else because they are Centauro CO HD machines which are definitely fully Italian made (SCMI owns their own foundry) and are a heavier build than the Felders unless you buy the Felder X40 saws.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

My understanding- which certainly might not be entirely accurate- is that the X10 series are at least partially made in the same Chinese factory that builds machines for Rikon and for SCMI to supply the Chinese market. To my knowledge SCM does not import those machines outside of China but that could change or may have changed. How much or how little of any machine is sourced entirely in Europe is tough to figure out as they don't need to specify origin. A bandsaw is a pretty simple machine. It is all about frame strength and balancing of the wheels so where the saw is less important than how it is made. I wish there was more information available to compare the choices. Dave

I think's it's Quingdao Woodfast. They're SCMI's distributor for the larger stuff in China.

http://www.woodfast.com.cn

Peter response is partial correct IMHO. I was at a gathering with Felder Austrian higher management in attendance and was told that ACM helped to produce the higher end Felders 540, 640 etc. The Hammer and FB510, 610 etc the main components (frames) where made in house with casting and other parts supplied by outsourcing. You will never get an honest answer from any company as to sourcing. I have a FB 600 and the frame structure is extremely well built and can tension 1" and 1 1/4" easily. As with everything said on any of these forums take all info including mine with a grain of salt unless shown actual proof its main hearsay.

The question reminds me of people asking where SnapOn tools are made. If I was to advance an opinion and make a very wild assumption I think that some components are made in Eastern Europe and not Asia. Logistically it makes far more sense than manufacturing in China, I have heard the stories and seen zero proof of the mythical Chinese connection.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening