Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: unloading a big bandsaw

unloading a big bandsaw

Next week i will be buying a powermatic 20" bandsaw seller has a forklift and I plan to lay it on it's spine in the back of my pickup. It is 3/4" too long to close the tailgate so I will leave the tailgate at home. How should I unload it safely? It weighs about 800 pounds with the table removed.
    I have a engine hoist but I do not see a logical way to rig it. maybe a sling to the base and one loop over the top arm and hoist it flat on its back and then drive truck out. set it down flat on the ground and rerig to tip it up. It just seems like the top lifting point may slip and let it pivot to some crazy angle very fast. Some people have said there is a one or two threaded holes on the top arm but not designed for a lifting point. I do know that Doall bandsaws, which weigh more, have a 3/4 tapped hole on top of the arm that allows a single point vertical lift.
    This is a welded frame saw so I feel it is a bit easier to rig without causing irreparable damage.
    It may be best to remove the welder to allow better angles. It is wired for 440 so the welder probably has to come out to be connected for 240 anyway.
    Bill D.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 05-30-2018 at 8:38 PM.

Moved many machines out of the back of the truck all by myself.

Make a ramp that rests on your bumper but is slightly lower than the bed of your truck. Make sure it is long and sloping gradually.

Now back up to your lawn remove your tailgate and prop up the ramp on your bumper. Now drive two large steaks into the ground where the ramp meets your lawn. This will insure the ramp can not kick out.

Put a moving blanket down and lay the saw on its spine. Screw 2x4’s across the ramp left to right every 12” or so. Then let it rip, slowly slide the saw out the back of the truck. When it gets to the first 2x4 unscrew it and watch it slide to the next one. Easy as that...

Make sure you have a couple pieces of scrap plywood to put at the end of the ramp for the saw to land on and for you to shuffle it off the lawn and onto a hard surface. You will easily be able to stand the saw up if you loaded it into the truck with the base towards the tailgate as the ramp will aid in you lifting it.

I just moved a 700lb Minimax bandsaw into my masement shop by myself last evening oddly enough.

Believe it or not I was able to lift the saw laying flat on its spine on the ground in my shop upright all by myself. I thought my spine was gonna explode but I was able to do it.

Just spend some time making strong ramps and thinking through how to make sure nothing can shift and you’ll be good.

Congrats new tools are a blast!

CABA5786-425C-43E2-84B7-03162DF14885.jpg

660009A1-7596-4416-9A33-A61A772916B9.jpg

28486ABE-B665-4EEA-8742-CF626D3D6BB5.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]386840

[/B725CF21-22F5-4982-9752-8A8C8A4D1373.jpg

C9DD294E-C533-443E-B09A-DE83B895A918.jpg
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 05-30-2018 at 10:10 PM.

Lift horizontally out of the vehicle onto the ground and two people should be able to get it vertical though I would not do that until it is close to where it will live. Lift from the horizontal with the crane and a combination of crane and people power to get it from there to vertical. There is no need to complicate it but they can be tippy if allowed to get away from you. I did my 18" on my own from trailer to upright using a chain block. The other way is tilt the whole trailer to slide it out and stand up the BS from there. This requires more people as the trailer will have to be lowered.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

My approach would be building ramps to slide it down then strapping it to an appliance truck for the remainder of the trip if the truck can roll from the truck to where it needs to go. Since you mentioned a welder it is most likely a PM 87 which will be heavier than 800# due to the transmission. This will mean more weight is near the base and less tippy than a PM81 wood cutting saw.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Yes it is a 87. I believe it is quoted at 950 pounds. But if I remove the table that is a little less then 100 pounds off. Welder is probably 35 pounds or more.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Yes it is a 87. I believe it is quoted at 950 pounds. But if I remove the table that is a little less then 100 pounds off. Welder is probably 35 pounds or more.
    Bill D

I've seen weights of over 1000# quoted for those, but like most "light weight" saws of that type they are bottom heavy so easier to manage. They are great saws though I am not a huge fan of the guides. They are angle hardened steel blocks from the factory they came with multiple thrust bearing sizes from the factory but they are "never" with the saws now. They will certainly work but I find them fiddly in the shape they are normally in especially on the metal cutting saws.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

My thoughts are to keep it upright the entire time. Could be healthier for both you and the saw. Yes it will be a bit harder to transport because of it's top heaviness. Hopefully it will fit thru your door upright. I loaded and unloaded my 20" delta bandsaw by myself (I do NOT recommend, get a friend). I removed the table and motor. I rented a U-Haul trailer that was designed for motorcycles. It was low to the ground and had a long strong ramp. I simply "walked" it up the ramp and into the trailer (you know, tilting it slightly and twisting). My saw had about a 1/2 of clearance at the door.

Looking good, Patrick, that’s one serious saw!! Did you end up getting the Martin, too?

Take care,
    Kevin

I just thought of the easy way to tip a saw upright from laying on it's spine. Just bolt two long 2x4's onto the base through the mounting holes so they point into the sky. Pull them down and the saw will tip upright. If it goes too fast the 2x's will hit the ground and prevent it from overturning.
    Bill D

I have moved my 19" Grizzly by myself. I removed the table and band wheels, tipped it back on it's spine and slid it into my truck.

John

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I just thought of the easy way to tip a saw upright from laying on it's spine. Just bolt two long 2x4's onto the base through the mounting holes so they point into the sky. Pull them down and the saw will tip upright. If it goes too fast the 2x's will hit the ground and prevent it from overturning.
    Bill D
    I invited two friends with much larger builds than myself, and I provided refreshments. Worked wonderfully and fast
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

It’s is,

And I did,

And I have not forgotten about you. Your next on the list..

9D63C48D-B358-4D2F-8630-94C8B68138B3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Adams View Post
    Looking good, Patrick, that’s one serious saw!! Did you end up getting the Martin, too?

Take care,
    Kevin

One tool that has come in handy for moving tools many times, is a Maasdam Rope Puller. It's like a come-a-long, but not limited by a cable length. Johnny Means can tell you that I loaded a 24" bandsaw, by myself, with one. I use it with one of the 150' long tree work ropes.

http://www.maasdam.com/rope-pullers.html

I could have unloaded it myself, with help from the puller, but I have two powerlifters for helpers. They didn't have any trouble sliding it out of the back of the truck, and tipping it up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 06-01-2018 at 10:13 PM.

I’d prefer it be on a low trailer on its spine, which is how I did mine. Move it backward on the trailer until you find the tipping point, with a friend let the base get to the ground and tip it upright.

Trailer rental is cheap.

Wow, that is somehow massive and sleek at the same time, a modern aircraft carrier!

And no no worries on the other, all is there when you’re ready and able. Hope life is good.

Kevin