Thread: Contemplating a bathroom cabinet repair - Granite question.

Contemplating a bathroom cabinet repair - Granite question.

My under the sink cabinet got some water damage from delayed faucet repair. The fronts, drawers, granite top, and sides show no damage. I can picture most of the process of removing the cabinet, replacing the floor, back, drywall and any other water-damaged parts.

The part that scares me is removal of the granite top. It matches the nearby kitchen granite counters. How are granite counters typically mounted? Is there a starting place to carefully remove a counter and backsplash so I can rebuild the cabinets as needed, then re-install?

I'll add a photo when I get home from work.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Blog Entries
    Most are installed with silicone. A thin sharp knife slipped between the frame and the granite and worked around the perimeter, should get it loose. Whatever you do don't pry it up!
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Most are installed with silicone. A thin sharp knife slipped between the frame and the granite and worked around the perimeter, should get it loose. Whatever you do don't pry it up!
    That is very good news.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

As mentioned the counter-top is likely attached with silicone, typically just ran around the perimeter inside and out. The back-splash is likely attached with silicone and will be harder to remove than the counter-top. If you bust the back-splash consider going back with an accent tile.

Cut the caulk line along the top and sides of the back-splash. Then try using a 3-6" flexible sheetrock knife to slip behind the back-splash and cut the silicone/glue. You can follow the same process with the countertop. Cut around the perimeter both inside and as possible inside, then use the sheetrock knife slid between the cabinet and counter-top.

Knife, putty knife, hacksaw blade all work. But a cheap HF multitool with an offset blade really works.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    That is very good news.
    From what I've watched of the installs, I suspect it will be pretty easy to remove and put back on a new cabinet. We had one put into a bathroom a few weeks ago and besides the epoxy set time for mounting the sink the install took less than 15 minutes. The biggest pain will be the plumbing. But if unsure or you just don't want to tackle it, another option is hire a granite countertop company to come it and take it out.

(If the one in my kitchen ever needed to be removed I'd pay the pros for sure - it's 13' long, the stone vary narrow at the sink, fastened to a stovetop counter on one end, and is glued under a 16' granite blacksplash and ledge covering a beam on the wall. I watched 4 people install it and wouldn't dream of touching it myself!)

Can't do it without removing the countertop?

I'm envisioning a way replace the ruined parts w/o removing top.

Silicone almost always. Multi tool will be the easiest/fastest/least chance of damage. IMHO

The granite countertop from our baths and kitchen were installed by myself 25 years ago using only gravity. These things are heavy so their weight are sufficient to maintain at their place. The backsplashes were mounted with transparent silicone... I think it is the usual installation procedure.

All the best.