Thread: Delta mortiser electric problem

Delta mortiser electric problem

Greetings Folks,

I have a Delta 14-651 mortiser. It was used it successfully yesterday. Today it will not turn on, no sound, no nothing. I verified that the power source was active.

The switch housing was opened and it was clean inside, no sawdust or debris. The switch has four wires attached to it. There is also a capacitor wired in.

So, having no knowledge of electrical components or circuits I detached and reattached the wires to their respective connectors. It did not help.

Is there a way to test the capacitor vs the switch before I try to locate replacement parts?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Probably not the cap, it would most likely at least hum with a bad cap. So that makes the switch and line cord most likely suspects, if you're sure the receptacle is hot. A cheap HF multimeter would sort it out quickly. We could walk you through it. Even a non-contact voltage sensor would be good enough for this test...

Hello Paul,

I acquired a multimeter.

The prongs of the supply cord plug show continuity withtheir terminations in the switch box.

The switch has four wires attached; a white wire and a blackwire connected to terminals at the ON side of the switch and two red wires connectedto the OFF side of the switch.

When the switch is in the ON position there is continuitybetween the white wire connection and its corresponding red wire connection. Thereis no continuity between the black wire and its corresponding red wire.

Do these findings indicate the switch is bad?

Thanks for your help,

Tom

Yes, it seems so. You most likely have a double pole single throw switch and the two terminals on each side should have continuity when the switch is in the on position. You could try rapidly switching on and off (with it unplugged) several cycles in case it is just dirty. Or try blowing it out with compressed air if the switch isn't tightly sealed. Good luck!