Thread: Parrot aviary framing suggestions

Parrot aviary framing suggestions

I am planning a large walk-in enclosure for my small parrots to enjoy the outdoors. 8' high, 8' wide, 16' long.

I plan on using locally available Juniper rough landscape grade lumber (as an alternative to cedar) and making 8' X 4' rectangular open panels/frames from Juniper boards, pneumatically staple hardware cloth on, for the aviary sides. Plan is to attach the panels with large bolts to a frame of 4" X 4" x 8' so that the enclosure can be disassembled and moved when needed.

My dilemma: what is the best way to attach the corners to create the panels/frames? The frames must be flat which means I cannot lay one board over another and screw into place...I am thinking I need to get a pocket screw jig and use pocket screws to attach the boards at the corners? Or can I get some sort of bracket that would allow me to connect the boards at the corners in a sturdy way?

I can buy the Juniper in 1" X 6" X 8' 's or 2" X 6" X 8'. I think if I use pocket screws I will have to use the 2" X 6" as the 1" lumber is not thick enough. But I would much prefer to use 1" X 6" because the 2 X 6 is super heavy.....

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!

Blog Entries
    A pocket hole jig will be fast, secure and easy. Once you get your hardware cloth attached, they should be plenty strong enough.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Or you could use corner fasteners like picture frame folks use...one of these:

E50BDCBA-5E55-467B-8F83-7B1C6065C573.jpeg 4249E242-3EEE-4A8C-910B-003E1D649D72.jpeg

As Lee said, once the fabric is on, it should hold well.

Do you need individual panels for a reason, such as having to take it apart at some point?

I've built several large permanent bird "cages" and am currently half done with one 12'x24'. I run 2x4s or sometimes 2x6s horizontally between posts (pressure treated if they will get wet), then staple wire to the inside. This is pretty strong and should keep a fox out. The seams and the staples could be covered on the inside with strips of wood. These buildings are for much larger birds (peacocks) but I have an interest in keeping snakes out of the next boxes so I'm using 1/2" hardware cloth backed with sturdier fencing for strength. I put in a concrete floor and metal roof.

JKJ

What kind of parrots are they? To me parrot cages are steel otherwise you are frequently replacing the timber they gnaw on. Cheers

Thanks so much for the ideas! I didnt know the hardware cloth would add a structural strength so that makes me feel better about embarking on this build!

Yes, I need panels unfortunately in order to disassemble and move it next summer when we move. Its going on a level section of flat concrete patio for right now so it will have a concrete floor. Good idea with the metal roof I may do that to keep the inside dry...

The birds are white bellied caiques, a meyers parrot (both size of a robin) and one ancient African gray parrot. They will only be outdoors with supervision, so I can stop any gnawing. Usually I give them enough toys they will attack that instead of structures, and Im going to put lots of fun climbing ropes and branches . I plan to use a 1" hardware cloth. Im very excited to work with the Juniper wood: it has ground contact resistance of 20-30 years naturally from what I read!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thea Moessner View Post
    Its going on a level section of flat concrete patio for right now so it will have a concrete floor. Good idea with the metal roof I may do that to keep the inside dry...
    You probably should anchor it to the concrete so the wind doesn't blow it over.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I don't know if hardware cloth by itself would be strong enough, at least not for me. But if the wire was thick it might be OK. I've actually never 1x1" hardware cloth; the 1x1 I've used is called welded wire fencing instead. 16 gauge welded wire would be pretty strong. Some of the smaller stuff is as thin as 23 or 27 gauge and pretty flimsy.

I back up 1/2" hardware cloth with what are called cattle panels from the farmer's co-op. These are 16' panels of various height, made from 1/4" welded and galvanized steel rod. I fasten the hardware cloth (or chicken wire) with the cattle panels and put up with hammered in staples.

For portable panels I might use 2x4 lumber and make half-lap joints in the corners, together with construction adhesive and screws, fasten the wire, then fasten with screws to a structure put together with carriage bolts.

Another very easy way to make portable cages is a 10x10x6' dog kennel made from chain link fencing. The holes in the fence and the corners could let smaller birds escape so they would have to have finer wire added. I've raised a lot of guinea fowl in these and add wire to the corners for when they are young. Here are two kennels connected with an door panel between for flexibility. I fasten extra panels on top then a frame with a rain top on top (from Tractor Supply or the co-op.) I use these for peacocks at the moment.

cages.jpg

Is juniper wood safe for birds if they chew on it? I don't see the wood on the unsafe lists here, although the juniper plant itself can be toxic:
    http://www.birdsafe.com/woods.htm
    http://freedomflightsparrotrescue.ca...c-plant-lists/

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Thea Moessner View Post
    Thanks so much for the ideas! I didnt know the hardware cloth would add a structural strength so that makes me feel better about embarking on this build!

Yes, I need panels unfortunately in order to disassemble and move it next summer when we move. Its going on a level section of flat concrete patio for right now so it will have a concrete floor. Good idea with the metal roof I may do that to keep the inside dry...

The birds are white bellied caiques, a meyers parrot (both size of a robin) and one ancient African gray parrot. They will only be outdoors with supervision, so I can stop any gnawing. Usually I give them enough toys they will attack that instead of structures, and Im going to put lots of fun climbing ropes and branches . I plan to use a 1" hardware cloth. Im very excited to work with the Juniper wood: it has ground contact resistance of 20-30 years naturally from what I read!

Seems like a "Chicken Tractor" would meet a lot of your needs.
    1" cloth is too big in my opinion. I would go 1/2", or 3/4".
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)