Thread: Bench vise stand, low

Bench vise stand, low

I wrote a note about this in a thread about broken trunions on a drill press then thought maybe someone who plays with metalworking might find it useful.

I've always found big bench vises way too high for comfortable work when actually mounted on a work bench. Years ago I welded a steel stand from square tubing for a big pipe and bench vise, just 16" high so the top of the vise is 28" from the floor. I added a 3/16" top for mounting the vise and horizontal pieces to the legs so it won't be tippy.

vise_stand.jpg

The height is perfect for me for drilling, tapping, pounding, welding, cutting, filing, and grinding with hand and power tools. Doesn't take up space on the workbench. When welding and grinding the sparks and debris are on the floor instead of the bench. Another advantage is it is easy to skid across the concrete floor to reposition as needed for long or awkwardly shaped pieces or haul where needed.

I used this vise mounted on a workbench for years and this is SO much better! I'm sure lots of people have a vise mounted low but I've never seen one.

JKJ

Mice metal working job on the stand John. I guess the height depends on what kind of work you do with your vise. I also had mine bench mounted for years and last year built my second, and hopefully, last stand. It's 2 pieces of 3/4" plate welded on each end of a short length of I beam bolted to the concrete floor with 5/8" bolts. I tend to play rough with my vise and it's a little higher than yours because I have lower back issues.

I like that your's is your's is "portable"; a nice feature at times. I would ask if your vise is capable of turning 180 degrees which puts the front of the vise on the non-angled end of the stand and allow for a long vertical piece to go further toward the floor.

P.S. It looks like we have the same collection of DeWalt angle grinders.

That is a great setup I’d love to have in my shop. I built my bench on the tall side which I’m happy with 98% of the time. My metalworking vise though can be too tall at times – 49” to the top of the jaws.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by John Ziebron View Post
    . . . I would ask if your vise is capable of turning 180 degrees which puts the front of the vise on the non-angled end of the stand and allow for a long vertical piece to go further toward the floor.
    Yes, it rotates easily and I do that sometime for long pieces. The jaws will also rotate on the other axis (so you can put the pipe vise on the top) so occasionally I've rotated it 90-deg to hold a piece of plate. I do mount a smaller vise on the steel welding table if I need to hold smaller things for close work.

I do like Dewalt and have a bunch of cordless tools that all use the same 18v battery, including a handy recip saw, great around the farm. For most of my metalwork in and just outside the shop, however, I prefer corded angle grinders so I don't have to mess with the batteries. I keep four or five (Dewalt, Makita, and Milwaukee) so different brushes and wheels are handy.

Speaking of stands someone gave me a buffer on the heaviest stand I've ever used, far heavier than even the one made from 4" square tubing for my Metabo grinder. Someone welded a piece of 2" square tubing to a chunk of solid steel 14"x14"x1.5". Yikes, weighs about 100 lbs. I've tried to give it away several times but no luck yet. It would make a great soil and gravel tamper if my name was King Kong.

JKJ

Nicely done John
    I don't think a metal working vise deserves space on a woodworking bench but does deserve a place somewhere. Your solution is inspired.