Thread: Identify wood? Mabe birch, ebony, and Philippine Mahogany?

Identify wood? Mabe birch, ebony, and Philippine Mahogany?

I reorganized my lumber rack (all lumber that isn't pine (unless clear) or ply. Found 2 curly maple boards (7' x 6" x 4/4) so I started a laptop rolling desk project - Hooray! But I also found several unknown woods. Maybe my pictures and details are sufficient that someone can remotely identify them. I do not remember where I got most of the wood.
    1. Birch? It looks to me like hardwood but not maple or oak or cherry. I have zero experience with birch or poplar, but the grain and color look wrong per "The Wood Database." It feels slightly dense.
      In all cases I took several pictures in outside lighting and selected the most accurate pictures.
      Birch Q 3.jpg - Birch Q 5.jpg
    2. Ebony? This is hard and heavy. I think it might have been used as a talisman or something like that. I found it at a non-woodworking yard sale.
      Ebony Like Bott fresh cut 2.jpg - Ebony Like close-up.jpg - Ebony Like overview.jpg
    3. Philippine Mahogany? I have 3 pieces, I think, 2 probably from a shipping crate (for Lauan plywood from Japan, I think) and one from sources unknown. I guess PM because of the color.
      Phil Mahog Q end.jpg-

I was lucky and found wood I had forgotten
    • quilted maple, 2 boards, 7' 6" x 4/4, now the top of a rolling laptop desk project
    • a piece of teak (84" x 7 x 7/4 - bought at a WW garage sale 25 years ago for $30). When I saw the price of Teak, I decided to try sell it on eBay or locally.
    • a sole piece of cherry (72" x 8" x 6/4). Is it hard to match cherry?

Boy, it sure feels great to have the lumber rack organized.

Thanks.
    Doug, the "Wood Loon"
    Acton, MA

72, slow road cyclist, woodworking dabbler, tool junkie , and
    bonsai enthusiast.
    Now, if I could just stay focused longer than a few weeks...

Better quality photos would help. But the 2nd could be bubinga. The 3rd possibly African mahogany.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Some of the color I think I see in the second one reminds me of cocobolo. Hard to say.
    earl

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hobkirk View Post
    1. Birch?
    2. Ebony?
    3. Philippine Mahogany?
    Section 7 on this page: http://www.wood-database.com/wood-ar...ication-guide/

1. Andy, Bubinga seems possible, after checking the pictures in Wood Database. I thought the pictures worked out quite accurately on 2 & 3. I tried but failed to get a decent photo showing the grain pattern on #1.
    2. Earl, Cocobolo does seem possible, although I think the end grain looks slightly off. But I was pleased to check it out.
    3. John, I had already discovered Wood Database, and I've read the entire page you linked to. Which I thought VERY impressive, including Step 1, is it actually wood?

I thank you for taking the time to chime in and offer your opinions/suggestions. I was reasonably sure if was unlikely to work out, but I often get surprised on forums.

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Better quality photos would help. But the 2nd could be bubinga. The 3rd possibly African mahogany.
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    Some of the color I think I see in the second one reminds me of cocobolo. Hard to say.
    earl
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Doug, the "Wood Loon"
    Acton, MA

72, slow road cyclist, woodworking dabbler, tool junkie , and
    bonsai enthusiast.
    Now, if I could just stay focused longer than a few weeks...