Thread: New shop cabinets suggestions - buy not build

New shop cabinets suggestions - buy not build

I’m helping a client setup and fit out his shop, and some shop cabinets are in order. What store (and online of course) bought cabinets do you all suggest? He wants high quality cabinets and hardware, durable, and price isn’t the driving force.

I only need about 15’ of lowers, as there’s a nice bank of windows above.

I’m thinking either kitchen cabinets, or some kind of “system”. And no, I have no interest in making them and not does the client.

Ikea. Really. Quality Blum hardware, easy assembly and they look nice. Reasonably priced, too. Better quality than the low end stuff at the 'borg, too, IMHO.

That said, a quick trip to a Habitat ReStore is always a good idea as they quite often have banks of pre-owned cabinets for dirt-cheap.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

IKEA is a good suggestion Jim. Habitat wouldn’t pass the sniff test, as the client wants really nice stuff. He wouldn’t flinch at a couple grand for this.

You could try Cab Parts. I’ve used them several times for office installs and they have a wood product line with plenty of raised or recessed panel options. Can get them with Conformat or dowel and glue. Drawers have a dovetail option if desired. Genrerally prices have been pretty good.

Vidmar if money is not a problem

Bob

Why not custom cabinetry if "high end" desired. Contact a local cabinet shop.

I'd go with vanity boxes from Cab Parts. With a 4" toe and 1.5" top they finish out at 32" tall by about 22" deep depending on counter overhang and what thickness top you go with (butcher block).

Cab Parts will have the most options in terms of widths and material choices.

Thanks guys, i’ll Check out Cab Parts too.

Check out some of the automotive magazines such as Garage Style or Robb Report. There are some really nice garage and shop cabinet set-ups that would instantly up the quality of the shop environment. Sears and Sam's Club also has some good quality cabinets for storage. I just got a couple of wall hung metal cabinets from Sam's Club that have chrome/shiny metal doors to house my router collection. Only $99.00 here in eastern NC and I am thinking about getting another one.

Along the line of Mike's comments, Costco also has some options.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Home Depot has the New Age Products line. Marketed for garages and comes in many different configurations and colours.. I don't have experience with their products so can't speak for quality but looks good.

To get the best convenience, shelf spacing is critical. Plan what will go on each shelf. Many shallow shelves will hold most stuff but these must be at or below eye level. Put the tall stuff on high shelves.