Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Small SCM slider repairs SI 16 SF

Bearings & Belts
    (863) 337-4984
    http://www.usabearingsandbelts.com

Call and ask what the options are for 608-2Z bearings. They should be able to provide SKF ones.

DSCN3598.jpgDSCN3599.jpgThis is a little newer and lacks the chrome strip but I believe it may fit. Bore is 22mm and diameter matches the one on my saw that looks like yours. If you want, PM me. If it doesn't fit you are only out the postage. Dave

thanks Chris for another idea. Wish the friend still had a shop.

David do you have an SCM graveyard of parts? Thanks thats a kind offer. Give me a bit one guy is checking on bearings and going to see what they have at work in the next few days. One thing yours looks like aluminum? is that correct. I havent taken this off yet but you can see in the threaded area or where the threads were mine is rusty so likely its steel. There was not rust on the handle threads though.

95% of older Scmi I have owned, had to have motors rewound or replaced. Stupid metric frame Fiemec motors.
    Every hand wheel had a stripped out handle hole. You can easily re tap for 1/2" 13 and buy a new folding handle from McMaster Carr.

Add- stupid plastic knobs and handles are always broken.
    They are great saws, but all the cheap parts are always broken. I have a pile of parts laying around as well.
    Last edited by Darcy Warner; 05-30-2018 at 12:43 AM.

guess ive been luckier than you and Martin. think there are five SCM machines here and not one motor touched. Two motors in two of them so thats seven motors. I knew the original owners and bought two of them from them, they saw lots of use and likely 60 years old. I think the ones that are 60 years old are made better than the newer ones likely the saw is about 20 years old and not as heavy as the older machines. thanks on the suggestion on the handle one more thought and a good one. Id already sent the email to a guy in town that works on race cars, he came to mind remembered a friend landed his plane there and they showed me the shop. So will see his perspective as well but that sounds like the cleanest solution so far. thanks Darcy and all, its appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    thanks David thats the kind of info I was looking for. When I did the tapered bearings I talked to people that made tools for setting them up, I asked my friend that works on race cars and hist story was different. Timken invited me out sat with me and explained it saying my friend was correct.

Next figure out the handle so anyone who has solved this before thoughts are welcome.
    Buy a new handle. I can't remember what they are called, but McMaster has them.

Fixing the hole won't be real pleasant. I'd try a helicoil first. If that didn't work I'd drill it out larger and have someone make a threaded inset for the handle to thread into.

Or. Have a machinist make you another part of the handle that is threaded, but make it longer so you can put a nut on both sides of the wheel

Blog Entries
    I have a felder machine bought used and a few of the plastic handles were broken. The zinc ones cost all of about $2 more at McMaster, not sure why they could not simply provide better ones OEM.

Anywho, McMaster is a great resource for all of these odds and ends. I’d do as Darcy suggested and buy the next size up in the handle and cut larger threads. Easier than putting a helicoil in.

Having worked in a machine shop I have an adversion to helicoils, locking threaded inserts are preferred.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 05-30-2018 at 8:13 AM.

The four people all woodshop owners should befriend:

The machinist
    The electrician
    The welder/fabricator
    The electrical engineer

in addition to the small frame, some metric motors, SCM included are 50 hz and just run at 60 hz for the US market. That is why the odd 9 hp size. At 50 hz the motors put out 7.5 hp. I think it is a contributing factor to their failure rate. The good thing about buying SCM used is that they sold a billion machines so parts can be had. I have a 10 hp Felder shaper with a 90 frame motor so SCM isn't alone. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    thanks Jim I often read or type too quickly then off to something else.

Lots of guys talk about power up and down stuff. Old school other than the power table on the stroke sander. The one I had before was brutal and made me mental any time I had to use it. The third one has a power table and its a joy, in the case of up and down all of my machines shaper and planers the SCM stuff are crank handles and fine, the older General stuff is more annoying. I dont mind handles when its a well made machine its not a bother at all, not much effort and smooth.

Yea, there's nothing wrong with hand-cranking for this...and it's cost effective. It just takes a lot of revolutions to tilt my blade to 45º and invariably, I mash my hand a few times when the handle decides to "not stick out straight" because I'm flopping around like a clown.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    in addition to the small frame, some metric motors, SCM included are 50 hz and just run at 60 hz for the US market. That is why the odd 9 hp size. At 50 hz the motors put out 7.5 hp. I think it is a contributing factor to their failure rate. The good thing about buying SCM used is that they sold a billion machines so parts can be had. I have a 10 hp Felder shaper with a 90 frame motor so SCM isn't alone. Dave
    Plus they are wound for like 4 voltages.

My motor shop said the windings are small an insulation is poor.

Yes, I have 60s and 70s SCM stuff still going strong with original motors, but they are way different than the fiemec ones.

and for some of you your wives

Im lucky to have a lady friend who buys me shop stuff. Last time she went to a tool and die maker friend behind my back and bought a 72" precision ground straight edge made from a shear blade. He was selling off his shop stuff and she knew I had borrowed it in the past. If i had known would have suggested the original owner Bridgeport with the Mititoyou digital read out.

Have a few welders so have that taken care of. Darcy ill check what motors i have, likely some of what you mentioned arent great. one of the machines was rewired originally from 575 to 220 single phase. He had a roto they should have just told him to get a transformer but guess they wanted the work.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Plus they are wound for like 4 voltages.
    My electrician was pretty sure he was going to let the smoke out of one of my scm shapers switchingg it over to 480. He didn't, but he wasn't real confident.

WHY can't the Italians put a sticker on the inside of the doghouse cover like the rest of the developed world?!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    My electrician was pretty sure he was going to let the smoke out of one of my scm shapers switchingg it over to 480. He didn't, but he wasn't real confident.

WHY can't the Italians put a sticker on the inside of the doghouse cover like the rest of the developed world?!
    Yeah, I don't get some of the stuff they do.

Right now I have a stuck spindle in a 1968 SCM T160 shaper. May be one of the best shapers they ever built and they claim it doesn't exist. Power lift, power tilt and a oil circulation pump for the bearings. The oil pump is what they said never existed. Think they only made this for one year or so.

Is it Beige, I missed a real nice one of those Italian Shop totally maintained had a clip board on the side with service records. I hand spun the spindle never felt one turn so smooth effortless and under the nut was double any spindle ive ever seen.