Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Miter slot runner material question

I have a lot of salvaged UHMW plastic sheets. Most of my sleds have it as runners.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I have been using PVC material in my shop for a very long time. Lots of shop jigs and fixtures and my band saw slider below were made from 3/4" thick PVC sheet. I have also made shop shelves, stands, plaques and signs.
    Keith, could post the source for the 3/4” sheet? I have some of the board but haven’t seen the sheet material.
    Joe

Joe,

The only thing I can remember about the source for the 3/4" PVC sheet is that I bought several sheets from a company in Williamsburg. I can now purchase PVC from Norva Plastics in Norfolk Virginia, I am pretty friendly with the owner and occasionally he gives away drops from some of his large projects. The last load he gave me almost overloaded my 3/4 ton van, I will be using that PVC load for many years to come. I have the drops stored in my barn and one of my storage buildings and I use it for for so many things around my home and shop that it is everywhere.

I am building a sled now. I decided to use PVC. I picked up a 3/4 strip at Lowe’s. I ran it through the planer until I got a
    perfect fit. My concern is wear. The stuff seems kind of soft. I guess time will tell.
    Charlie Jones

Blog Entries
    Thread-jack -- Thanks Stan and Keith. I had used PVC board around the house but, never made the connection to using it in the shop. I have something in mind where this may be just the ticket.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

How do you attach the UHMW to the sled? Thanks in advance.

I use red oak. It’s durable and the open grain holds some parifin wax that keeps it sliding smooooth.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    Usually it is mounted with screws as many adhesives won't stick to UHMW.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I use red oak. It’s durable and the open grain holds some parifin wax that keeps it sliding smooooth.
    hite oak for me. I have lots of it in the cut off bins. 2nd on the wax.
    w
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.