Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remember Me feature no longer works in Firefox

Remember Me feature no longer works in Firefox

Any idea why the "Remember Me" feature no longer works for me when signing in via Firefox? I can get it to work when using Microsoft Edge as my browser but Edge seems to be more prone (on other websites) to picking up malware.
    "Don't worry. They couldn't possibly hit us from that dist...."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Turkovich View Post
    Any idea why the "Remember Me" feature no longer works for me when signing in via Firefox? I can get it to work when using Microsoft Edge as my browser but Edge seems to be more prone (on other websites) to picking up malware.
    Try using master password for firefox, You will need to enter the MP one and it will remember for all(most). You then just need to click the box..It is not the same as it use to be, but I found this works.

Bob
    r

I use Firefox without a master password and have no problem with it remembering me.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    I use Firefox without a master password and have no problem with it remembering me.
    As do I. Have you made any changes to your settings in Firefox? Do you have the Remember Logins checkbox checked in Firefox?
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 05-28-2018 at 11:31 PM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Lately I too have to sign in each time I'm here. I'm not being "remembered".....but I will NOT be consigned to the " ash
    heap of history!!"

The remember me always works for me on Firefox.....

Try deleting the existing SMC cookie(s) in FireFox and logging in from scratch. I've had a "corrupted cookie" from time to time in the past that affected this kind of feature. Removing the offending cookie(s) fixed the issue. Note, I'm not suggesting blowing away ALL your cookies as that's "not fun" when it comes to retained logins, etc., across multiple sites. Just get rid of the specific cookie(s) for this site and start over.

Jim
    Forum Moderator

Blog Entries
    No problem with Firefox here. Deleting cookies usually fixes the problem. You might also want to clear recent history in Firefox.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Here's what I just tried:

Could not find any cookies associated with SMC (and there were a lot more stored than I expected) so I erased them all.
    Closed the browser and reopened it. Confirmed no more cookies.
    Went to SMC.
    Entered my username and password (Note: clicking on the open fields automatically filled both boxes in with the correct info.)
    Checked the "Remember Me" box and clicked on "Login".
    Received page welcoming me back to SMC.
    Entered site.
    Closed browser and reopened it.
    Went to SMC.
    Site asked for User ID and Password.

Any other ideas? (Maybe I'm not erasing the right cookies...???)

Bob, is this box checked in Firefox?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Also you need to allow cookies for SMC.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee,

Yes to both.

As I mentioned, when I click on the username box, my name shows up as an option. When I click on the password my encrypted password shows up. IF I exit SMC and go to another website (still staying in Firefox) and then go back to SMC, it recognizes me without issue. But, if I exit Firefox and then go back in and click on SMC, it doesn't recognize me.

Blog Entries
    In your options part of Firefox you should see the following under Privacy and Security if you click on saved logins and cookies. Make sure you are logging in https://sawmillcreek.org/forum.php
    Capture11.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

Do you have Firefox set to delete cookies when you exit Firefox? Check Tools -> Options -> Privacy & Security -> Cookies & Site Data.
    Make sure cookies are kept until they expire.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    In your options part of Firefox you should see the following under Privacy and Security if you click on saved logins and cookies. Make sure you are logging in https://sawmillcreek.org/forum.php
    Capture11.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    Yes to both.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cooper View Post
    Do you have Firefox set to delete cookies when you exit Firefox? Check Tools -> Options -> Privacy & Security -> Cookies & Site Data.
    Make sure cookies are kept until they expire.

Mike
    Confirmed that cookies are not deleted.

Tried deleting the bookmark, then relogging-in per the address shown in Lee's post (including checking the "remember me" box). Bookmarked the page. Then closed and reopened Firefox. Clicked on the sawmill creek bookmark. Problem still there.

Note: This wasn't a problem until a Firefox update a couple of weeks ago. As mentioned earlier, I just switched over to Edge as I was having other problems on other websites (running slow). Now I'm having malware issues on Edge (while visiting USA Today & Sporcle) which don't occur on Firefox. I'm reluctant to switch over to Chrome because they have a reputation of trading user info (more so than the other two browsers.)