Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oops, problem with doors

Blog Entries

Oops, problem with doors

I made these doors to hang like barn doors. Didn’t consider the wheels would hit. Duh. Now I have to move them inboard and also shorten them and drill another hole so the hole falls where I need it to.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 05-28-2018 at 6:00 PM. Reason: Rotated image

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I made these doors to hang like barn doors. Didn’t consider the wheels would hit. Duh. Now I have to move them inboard and also shorten them and drill another hole so the hole falls where I need it to.
    Attachment 386683
    I HATE it when I do that. I guess you can't make a gap filler piece (or two, one for each door)? Too bad the brackets can't stay there. I might be tempted to clear out a spot in my cluttered weld shop and make some offset brackets.

Hard to tell exactly - is that picture sideways (looking up towards a ceiling)?

JKJ

Blog Entries
    It doesn't look like your rails are going to let you move them far enough to stay on the rails with that lower bolt. I would suggest making two trim pieces and leave the brakets where they are. Or make one wider piece that will cover the gap and over lap the other door slightly, sort of like a weather seal.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    I’m sleeping on it. I may make an overlapping trim piece, or I will shorten the straps to fit on the top rail and drill new holes for the bolts.

The image is turned sideways. This is the top of the door.

I would modify & move the hardware. A gap filler will be an oops filler. JMO
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Don't feel bad. This design is old enough that I'm certain you are not the first to slap his forehead.

Another option, and I think it might actually look interesting is to take the brackets and angle them back towards the door at a 22.5 or so. You'll have to raise them a little bit which will help with that bottom bolt being to close to the bottom of the style.

Also adding a 3/4 board to each end of the door or whatever thickness it needs to be to make the difference up could also look interesting if you did it in black to match the hardware giving the door a framed look and intentional. I have found that using a contrasting piece in that type of situation and calling it out is actaully the best way to hide it as a mistake. For that matter I think the best solution but probably not cost efficient would be to get a piece of black iron instead of wood painted black and thst would look amazing in my opinion. It would give the door a more industrial fire door look instead of a barn door look but I like that better anyway.

You’re not alone. I seem to get penalized whenever I use narrow stiles. I prefer the look of narrow stiles on some doors, but the hardware rarely works.

Use much smaller diameter wheels?

What about a triangle-shaped bracket to set the wheel further in? Couple pieces of flat steel may be easier than any wood work...

You could leave the hardware as-is- make a trim piece that attaches to one door and is wide enough to cover the gap and slightly overlap the other door. Since this increases privacy, you can now charge extra!

Blog Entries
    This is in my shop, which has 10' ceilings, and the doors are 9' tall. I made them to complement the entry doors, which are tall, narrow double doors. (That's how my whole house is made- double doors instead of single. I suppose because they are so huge.) This is a closet door. I bought the hardware and built the doors without ever thinking about the wheel needing to be fully inboard. The instructions were two pages in multiple languages printed in mini mouse font size. To my defense, the instructions said nothing about this one important detail. I laughed aloud at myself when I went to close the doors. Huge forehead slap.

I am going to shorten the hardware to better fit the rail and move them inboard. I have a dowel maker and can make a dowel any size to plug the holes. I am still laughing at the whole thing. I was so careful, measuring everything with a laser and using a laser level to get the bar just right. Haha. All that technology means nothing if you miss the glaring flaw, staring at you- mocking you. :-) It was a humbling lesson.

Blog Entries
    Side note: I also dropped my Veritas plow plane and chipped the handle during this project. I made this high-pitched squeal as it fell to the floor; a sound much like a 12 year old girl would make when she saw a mouse. My wife came running to see if I was ok. I have zero pride. You can make fun of me- I can take it.

Blog Entries
    Before you cut the brackets, be sure they won't want to wiggle over time with only one bolt holding them in place.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

You could put a quarter circle piece of trim in every corner rather than cutting your bracket shorter. Might even look pretty classy. It really sucks when I forget obvious stuff like this. Love the barn doors. Good luck!