Thread: Been playing again

Been playing again

Trying to get caught up on my mirror stock. I won't do any more purple heart inlay mirrors. I could not get that wood to bend. Boiled it for an hour and was barely able to get the gaps closed when clamping. I actually had some gaps and figured i would have to toss it but after turning the blank down to a thinner dimension got rid of all but the tiniest gaps which I filled with CA and no one will know. I also did a lamp turning demo and made this lamp out of pine. My wife wanted it blue so I use crackle medium with white and blue paint. We turn pens for out club to sell to raise money for charities so I turned 20 of them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice John!!

Lovely work. John what is the diameter of the mirrors?
    You only need 2 tools in life. If it's supposed to move and doesn't... use WD40. If it moves and shouldn't... use duct tape.

James I use 4" glass so the mirror body ends up being a little less than 5 1/2". I've tried bigger and smaller and that's the size I prefer.

Nice work as always John. I love to see what happens when your not "playing" and being serious. Again, nice work!
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I'm going to start a serious project in a few weeks. I have to rebuild an old chair first and get a few more mirrors made but once that's done I'm going to start on another "art" project.