Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need ID help for Disston Handsaw

Need ID help for Disston Handsaw

Was hoping for a little help identifying this saw I picked up at the flea market today. It doesn’t quite fit any of the descriptions found on the Disstonian (which is the only source I am aware of). It has a 1-inch medallion that dates 1896-1917. The handle looks like a No 16, but the chip carving doesn’t look quite right. The etch on the blade is gone so that is no help. The saw is 26 inches long and the blade is a skew-back which doesn’t match the No 16 which was a straight back. The other saw type with the medallion positioned at the bottom is the No 76, a skew back, but the handle doesn’t look right. Any ideas what this saw is? … a Frankensaw?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Am I seeing 9 Pt correctly?
    This is just a first reaction to close-up of handle;
    any chance it is a pretty well done repro handle?
    NOT EVEN an expert; but something about the handle looks
    "muddy" & the word stain comes to mind

Check out the No.76 "Centennial" on disstonioninstitute.com
    Sorry, I didn't read your last sentence, but it still looks like the 76.
    Could be a tote replacement.
    Could you possibly use a darkening solution to raise the etch?
    Last edited by Joe Tilson; 05-28-2018 at 8:07 AM.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

No wheat carving on the #76 fellas. That handle looks production to me, if you take off the handle, how many sets of holes are there? It’s clearly been fully restored, guessing the original tote was toast and replaced with the one on it now.

Handle looks to be a Disston No.16. The saw blade should have a straight back to be original to the handle.

http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/16page.html
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 05-28-2018 at 9:41 AM.

No question Stewie. While it is almost always the right answer to suspect a saw like this has had a replaced tote, like in this case when a saw should be straight backed and it is skewed, that is not always the case. Around the time Disston was developing the skew back, a lot of interesting hybrid type blades were produced. Attached are a few photos of such a saw.

The saw is relatively early. Blade suggests it's no earlier than 1871, the saw nuts are the variety used from 1876-1877, with the Nov 18, 79 patent date in the handle. All these dating hints conspire to be an 1880 dated saw. The etch proves it was always a #7, and the condition of the saw also suggests it has not been fooled around with. I have several other #7s with these same features, both of them have no nib, just an ordinary skew. I've never seen a skewback with a nib. These sorts of saws are very rare, but not unheard of. Apparently around the time of the D8 introduction, there was a lot of experimentation with adding that feature to their straight backed saws. For your consideration.

skew7.jpgskew7etch.jpgskew7handle.jpg

Thanks guys for your input! I will try to post a pic of the blade where the holes are w/o the handle in place. There are 4 holes in the correct places. Interestingly there are 2 notches at the end of the blade. I suppose the blade could have been shortened the notches are reminents of other holes but the that seems a stretch...

Yes it is 9 pt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark R Webster View Post
    Thanks guys for your input! I will try to post a pic of the blade where the holes are w/o the handle in place. There are 4 holes in the correct places. Interestingly there are 2 notches at the end of the blade. I suppose the blade could have been shortened the notches are reminents of other holes but the that seems a stretch...
    The saw may have been stored in a vertical rack. Then one day some guy carrying a heavy load bumped the handle and bent the saw right in the handle area. Sounds like something that could happen every day.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Here is a pic of the blade w/o the handle in place. Note the notches... the stamp for the 9 points is present and the hang seem right for the handle. Seems like if it was shortened and redrilled the 9 would be gone or the hang would have had to change?

IMG_2449.jpg
    Last edited by Mark R Webster; 05-28-2018 at 12:15 PM. Reason: tried to delete duplicate pic

It does not appear to have been replaced to me. With the 9 stamp in the heel, if it was cut down, that stamp would not be present. The only other explanation, is that it's a no name saw that Disston made with a replaced nut. Disston had many, many saws it made with etches to order. Typically they did not have a Disston Medallion, but it could have been replaced, or could be original. Who knows. If you look at the attached catalog page from 1914, you will see several saws with that kind of nut pattern. Without an etch, like so many of these mystery saws, it is impossible to say.
    etchtoorder.jpg

Thanks Pete very enlightening! I seem to run into these odd ball tools

Since it doesn't fit the Disston playbook, and the handle and plate seem original, I think you should consider that it may not be a Disston saw at all, but comes from another manufacturer but with the medallion replaced. For example, that handle/plate/bolt pattern is the same as an Atkins 56.
    As Pete says, without an etch we're just guessing

Hi Rob you might be on to something.... Thanks!

Hi Joe my experience is with hand planes. I don't know much about older handsaws. Where would I find information on how to raise the etch with "darkening solution" and what it is. Thanks