Thread: Thank You Leo Van Der Loo

Thank You Leo Van Der Loo

A while back a thread was started about dust control / dust collection, and Mr. Van Der Loo posted a picture that he 'cut out' of a picture of his shop. It was a picture of a dust collector made with a shop vac. It was, I immediately thought, just what could use in my limited space, and it set me on a mission. It ordered a Dust Deputy, and it sat in my shop for quite some time. Well, I finally got around to completing the project, and it has given me a whole new outlook on dust control and a whole new ability to actually do something about dust collection/control. This is my copy of his dust collector. I had to turn an adapter for the shop vac hose to be able to connect it to the Dust Deputy.

Thank you Leo! I have long admired your numerous examples of some fine turnings. Thanks for your posting way back when in that dust collection thread -- it got me "over the hump" and has helped me get a start on dust collection. Keep those great posts coming!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

That's a clever design. It does seem like there's a lot of extra resistance caused by the orientation, though. You have that long hose going from the top of the cyclone to the port on the vac. I have seen some where they put the shop vac sideways suspended over the cyclone.

Every time I see one of those contraptions I ask myself why no one sells a shop vac with a built in sorter. Even regular house vacs have them. Instead they just keep making the tub bigger and bigger -- 50 gallon shop vac, still the same tiny filter that plugs up before you pull 1 gallon of sawdust.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Mooney View Post
    A while back a thread was started about dust control / dust collection, and Mr. Van Der Loo posted a picture that he 'cut out' of a picture of his shop. It was a picture of a dust collector made with a shop vac. It was, I immediately thought, just what could use in my limited space, and it set me on a mission. It ordered a Dust Deputy, and it sat in my shop for quite some time. Well, I finally got around to completing the project, and it has given me a whole new outlook on dust control and a whole new ability to actually do something about dust collection/control. This is my copy of his dust collector. I had to turn an adapter for the shop vac hose to be able to connect it to the Dust Deputy.

Thank you Leo! I have long admired your numerous examples of some fine turnings. Thanks for your posting way back when in that dust collection thread -- it got me "over the hump" and has helped me get a start on dust collection. Keep those great posts coming!
    Good work Walter, and thank you, that setup does make moving the dust collector around so much easier than trying to move 2 separate pieces, plust the extra room that is needed for two pieces and the hoses.

I have used mine for quite a few years already, works just fine for me, sawdust in he bucket and the rest of the air filtered by the Vacuum cleaner, hardly any gets to that at all, and I blow that one out once in a while, when I’m cleaning the bucket.

2 Pictures of mine for those than never saw the original one,have fun and take care.

Shop.jpg Dust collection.jpg
    Have fun and take care