Thread: 115 volt vertical air compressor

115 volt vertical air compressor

Wondering what brand air compressor I could find that is vertical and is quite but 115 volt, no more room in my sub panel for 240 volt.

Cannot answer your question but will add that another sub panel is an easy and not too expensive an option when you are out of breaker spaces.

What is your budget for your compressor? There are a number of compressors that work well at 120 vac in the vertical mode and they are scattered all over the price spectrum.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Under $500, just looking for quite probably only use it for nail guns other small jobs.

Belt drive, oil lube pump. Put a muffler on the intake. I put an old oil bath air cleaner on my intake.
    Bill

IR Garage Mate I believe fits your criteria. Not inexpensive, but it's an excellent compressor.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Merrill Herring View Post
    Under $500, just looking for quite probably only use it for nail guns other small jobs.
    How useful would portable be? If that's really all you're going to be using it for, would a good "hot dog" compressor work? Nail guns use very little air. Air tools like die grinders and impact wrenches are another story, they typically require 4 CFM+. LVLP (low volume low pressure) Conversion paint guns would likely run on a belt drive compressor but may not on a "hot dog". I would learn the required CFM and pressure of tools I'm likely to run then buy accordingly.

Why vertical?
    You can place a compressor almost anywhere. The receiver does not have to be physically connected to the compressor by anything other than piping.

Quiet,and 120vac, puts you into Rolair and Cal Air compressors.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Thanks for the input, I have a portable in my garage and made room in my wood shop for a vertical. The IR garage mate looks like it would work for me, wondering if those of you who have a quite unit could tell me the dB number that is preferred. The IR is around 75, is that considered quite.

The IR is around 75, is that considered quite.
    No - not anymore.
    I'm a huge IR fan (I own a "Twin hot dog) and believe an IR should be the last compressor anyone should have to buy - -they are very well made...

But - quiet they ain't.

oil lube pump.
    No longer true - across the board.
    The present generation of oiless compressors are far quieter than most of the oil bath type.
    You really need to compare each compressor on it's own merits.
    As I mentioned above, my oil bath IR will wake the dead.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Perfect, thanks so much I think this will fit my needs.

I would pretty much ignore db ratings used in marketing. Too many variables, and you know the company is going to err on the side that maies them look (sound) good.

I have heard Cal Air compressors and they are, indeed, quiet. I have a small Rolair and it is every bit as quiet, probably too small for you.

Northern Tools has the IR garage mate for under $600. I can't imagine I'd ever buy another compressor. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...5221_200375221
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....