Thread: Question about storage of lacquer, acetone, thinner, etc

Question about storage of lacquer, acetone, thinner, etc

Hi,
    I'm a hobby guitar builder and repair tech.I live in a trailer, and there is limited room. We have a center bedroom that I have converted into a sort of music room/indoor workshop. I have a 2' x 4' bench in what used to be a closet with sliding doors(which I removed) that is used to do "clean" work on guitars, repairs, etc. But recently one end of said bench has acquired a pile of this sort of stuff stacked up. Lacquer, thinner, acetone, preval sprayers. I really need to move this from the bench to make room to actually use it. But I have no room to put it anywhere else in the home.
    I have a metal shed outdoors. Will it hurt any of this stuff to move it to the shed?
    I'm in Virginia, and it gets cold in the winter here.
    Thanks.

Put it on a shelf outside in your shed. Just keep the cans off the ground and well sealed.

Denatured alcohol picking up water once you open the can is a problem no matter what you do... So just buy that stuff in small quantities as you need it. Otherwise - it will be fine.

Thanks, John. Much appreciated.
    I have a shelf picked out.

Blog Entries
    Having witnessed several mobile home fires, and seeing how fast they spread to the entire structure, I would not store anything that flammable inside. Store it in a metal building or locker some distance from your home.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Does anyone have a fireproof storage box for their solvents and other volatiles? If you do, where did you source it? I know there are cabinet size ones for $400-500 if I remember correctly. I'm looking for something smaller about the size of a milk crate. I get a little edgy thinking of the lineup in my basement of quart cans of mineral spirits, naptha, acetone, lacquer thinner, dna, blo, and rattle cans. I recently had a can (forget what it was) leak out while I was gone for a few days. I could simply use a metal container like a stainless steel pan to catch leaks, but that would not take care of the fumes which could ignite when a furnace or water heater kicks in. Any resources appreciated.