Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Web pages Infested by mouse hover pop-ups

Web pages Infested by mouse hover pop-ups

Is there some recent change in webpages or web browsers that is creating more and more places on a page where a pop-up appears when the mouse cursor hovers over a spot?

Lately (the past few months) there is an infestation of pop-ups that appear on web pages (using Firefox). I don't pay particular attention to where the mouse cursor is when I'm reading something on a page and I find this trend irritating. For example, on Wikipedia pages, I get pop-ups that are supposed to be helpful notes when the pointer hovers over a link. I don't want this feature and it only starting happening recently.

Stephen, these are most aggravating. If you find a way to stop them from happening I'd sure like to know.

Blog Entries
    Some of my browsing habits have been changed because of this 'feature.'

Usually setting the cursor to the left side of the window avoids these things on most sites.

Some browsers drop the cursor when using the up and down arrows to navigate a page. One of my browsers doesn't and that is how my setting the cursor to the left was started. Soon it was noticed there weren't all the annoying pop ups.

The ones that drive me to distraction or the ones with an ad staying in place when you scroll but then flickers violently if one of the ads that moves with the scrolling is under it. This only happens on a few sites.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I'm one of those people who can't believe some folks pay for cable and then put up with commercials too. I simply state this so you can gauge my acceptance of unsolicited information of ANY kind. I have used Ad Block Plus for so long that I am literally startled when I use a computer that doesn't have it. The torrent of undesired garbage one has to wade through to use some services just sends me elsewhere.

I just can't bring myself to reward bad practices in business with my money or my time . I'm not saying there should be no advertising; companies have to compete, I am just fairly selective. There is no website that is the ONLY place I can get info on a such-and-such. I give my time and money to those who conduct themselves well. I also omit Pinterest results when I search because it is a pox upon valid search results that none should abide. I could go on but, even a wind-bag like me has limits
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-26-2018 at 5:50 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

On Wikipedia, those appear to be "page previews" (if that's what you refer to there), and can be turned off. Allow one to open, and look for the small gear icon on the popup window. Click that, and you should be able to disable that.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Petersen View Post
    On Wikipedia, those appear to be "page previews" (if that's what you refer to there), and can be turned off. Allow one to open, and look for the small gear icon on the popup window. Click that, and you should be able to disable that.
    Thank you for that advice. It works.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Petersen View Post
    You guys read Wiki?

About the popup windows, they are indeed a nuisance. Just another proof that webpage owners have little clues how their visitors actually think about web designs. The trend, like it or not, is merchants are moving away from transactional to interactive web pages.

Simon

I like to highlight text as I read so I can keep my place while scrolling or through distractions.

You can imagine how that works these days.

There are browser addons that let you disable the scripts on websites that power these "features" [and lots of others], but you have to be a super duper power user to make them work well and even then it's probably more trouble than it's worth.

Disabling scripts globally can also render many websites unusable. Part of the challenge here is that there are "good popups" and "bad popups". Eliminating one without disabling the other is often difficult. Even very intelligent browser add-ins miss the mark on this sometimes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    Is there some recent change in webpages or web browsers that is creating more and more places on a page where a pop-up appears when the mouse cursor hovers over a spot?

Lately (the past few months) there is an infestation of pop-ups that appear on web pages (using Firefox). I don't pay particular attention to where the mouse cursor is when I'm reading something on a page and I find this trend irritating. For example, on Wikipedia pages, I get pop-ups that are supposed to be helpful notes when the pointer hovers over a link. I don't want this feature and it only starting happening recently.
    If you use firefox then try the add in adblocker, i use it and i am not bothered by popups.

Just for your information because of ad blocking software free access to SawMill Creek will cease to exist in the coming months. If you don't see our advertisers banners you certainly won't be clicking on them to visit their web sites and that revenue will be lost forever soon. I am sharing this information so that I can say I warned everyone when we convert to a subscription based web site.

Keith, so you are saying that unless you become a contributor access to this site will not be available?

Subscription cost will have to be higher than minimum required now for Contributor status. Curious to see how much.
    Last edited by Pat Barry; 05-28-2018 at 1:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    when we convert to a subscription based web site.
    An unfortunate decision, and one that will cause me to stop contributing (since it would be forced) and go elsewhere.
    Though I understand the need to be able to profit in order to run servers, I'm not a fan of subscription only sites.
    No great loss, I'm sure, but there you have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Subscription cost will have to be higher than minimum required now for Contributor status. Curious to see how much.
    Why do the subscription fee and the current contribution amount (assuming there is indeed a minimum) have any relationship with each other?

Simon