Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why use a round mallet for chiselling?

Why use a round mallet for chiselling?

I know lots of you have round mallets. What's the advantage over a regular "trapezoidal" (flat) mallet?

Thanks!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Don't have to worry about a "flat" surface coming down at an angle to the tops of a chisel... no "mis-hits"

Steve nailed it.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Don't have to worry about a "flat" surface coming down at an angle to the tops of a chisel... no "mis-hits"
    No, there are bound to be more mishits with a round mallet. Think about it.

Blog Entries
    When you pick it up you don't have to pay attention to the orientation.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    This would also be reflected in the balance and control due to the symmetry. I may have to try one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    If that can't be determined by the feel of the handle then it is time for me to go to bed.

My flat faced mallets tend to get used more.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I prefer rectangular head mallets for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I know lots of you have round mallets. What's the advantage over a regular "trapezoidal" (flat) mallet?

Thanks!
    Fred
    For a wood turner, it is 10 times easier to make a round mallet. I have given away at least a dozen of them.

More seriously, the weight of a round mallet is more evenly distributed along the longer head and the long head surface reduces the chance of "misses." All said and one, it is just a matter of use. If you stick to one type of mallet, either will work just fine.

Simon

I use a round mallet when carving. Several sizes. I can choke up on a round mallet clear up to having the head of the tool in my palm. Try that with a big square head. I prefer a regular mallet for bench work. I actually have a big mallet with a round head oriented in regular mallet form that I have used for 30 years or more for bench work. I've seen woodworkers used both types for bench work. Most carvers I've seen use round mallets.
    Jim

I used to make and use round (carver) mallets for many years .... because they were easy to make, and they looked cool. I even purchased a Blue Spruce round mallet, and they are the coolest of all!

Then I realised how much more directed force one gets with a hammer (wood or metal), and switched. It is possible to use a smaller head and lighter hammer, which translates to more control and less effort. There is less likelihood of a mishit with a cabinetmaker's hammer or a genno than a carver's mallet. The Japanese have known this for a long time.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I used to make and use round (carver) mallets for many years .... because they were easy to make, and they looked cool. I even purchased a Blue Spruce round mallet, and they are the coolest of all!

Then I realised how much more directed force one gets with a hammer (wood or metal), and switched. It is possible to use a smaller head and lighter hammer, which translates to more control and less effort. There is less likelihood of a mishit with a cabinetmaker's hammer or a genno than a carver's mallet. The Japanese have known this for a long time.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    i would tend to agree that the chances of a Mishit with a carvers mallet doing bench work increases. I'm not so sure about a cabinetmakers hammer or a Japanese hammer at least for myself. I never look at the handle of a chisel whether doing bench work or carving. I'm always focused on the business end of the chisel and I tend to change my head position to get a better view. It is a comfort to me to know that I have several square inches of mallet face to to correct for my errant blows when doing bench work. I usually do take any huge hits with a carvers mallet so if it does happen to miss I don't loose any fingernails acquire any serious bruises.
    Jim

I haven't bothered to think about why I like round ones better. I expect it started when rectangular ones wore out, and I needed to get back to work rather than putting time required into making another multi piece mallet. I don't think I've mishit with one in years, and don't even remember ever doing so. When my last wooden, round one wore out, I tried a Wood is Good mallet, and never went back to wood.

Sometimes, I might use nothing but chisel and mallet for a few days at the time. I timed it last Summer at 15-1/2 hours with timber framing chisel, and 30 oz. WiG. Neither elbow, nor chisel showed any wear for that time.

Round ones are easier to make.

Blog Entries
    I am with Derek’s line of thought regarding greater directed force from a smaller mallet.

I suspect one might find a round mallet more servicable for carving where lighter more frequent taps are used and lighter mallets rule the day. I suspect that as one moves towards heavier less frequent strikes and heavier mallets, the flater surface will have significant advantage.